AtlasBalance (jaw misalignment) Treatment - EJC

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
EJC
Family Elder

AtlasBalance (jaw misalignment) Treatment - EJC

Post by EJC »

I'll start a new thread for Emma's treatment so it doesn't get lost in the thread about the treatment itself.

Any questions to Amir or on the general subject of Jaw Misalignment please post here:-

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/chronic-c ... 18524.html

Emma started treatment with Dr Amir firstly by no more than a consultation on Tuesday 15th November.

We visited Dr Amir in South London and spent a couple of hours with him discussing his theories and how he feels Emma's body was being affected. It was apparent quite quickly that Emma has quite substantial underdevelopment of the upper and lower jaws along with misaligned teeth. She had been fitted with a removable brace some 25 years ago to address this misalignment, the original treatment now needs to be corrected so Emma's upper and lower jaws can be coaxed into the position that they should be.

At this stage I will explain, this is not a quick fix, it is going to take some considerable months and possibly a couple of years to move everything around for Emma because of the extent of her problem, so bear with us.

We left Amir's surgery that evening after the consultation a little shell shocked. This theory had come completely out of left field and was being accompanied by the usual thoughts. Is this too good to be true? If this is so effective why has it been overlooked? Can it really be something as fundamental as this?

Well we've since had conversations with other patients of Amir’s (some with MS others with different ailments), some who we've met coming in and out of the surgery itself. There isn't a bad word and without exception they have all described the treatment as life changing.

We figure at this stage, having had CCSVI treatment which had great results for a few months then regressed that we're at a point where there aren't any other options. Traditional medicine has pretty much given up on "MS" it simply doesn't understand what it is.

Unless you're keen on pumping your body full of drugs, many of which the drug companies don't really know how they work, then we're pretty much left to what falls under the heading of "alternative medicine". Unfortunately this phrase seems to have a bit of stigma as it's associated with some crackpot ideas.

Before we made our final decision I decided to have a conversation with the Doctor and Surgeon in Edinburgh to get their views of where they are with CCSVI and if they'd ever heard of Amir's theories. To my surprise they had and were actively pursuing information and treatment packages on Jaw misalignment, they were quite surprised when I provided them with Amir's details and told them he'd been working on this for 20 years. It was MS patients that had sought him out rather than the other way around.

We’d already decided we were going ahead with this treatment. Amongst other things Emma had been suffering terrible jaw pain in the TMJ for the preceding month (it’s this that lead us down the jaw road) and it was reaching a point where the pain was so great she wasn’t eating.
Emma had her first appointment on Saturday 3rd December. Amir had taken teeth impressions of upper and lower at the consultation in case we decided to proceed. So on the Saturday Emma’s first small brace was ready, to ease her into the treatment.
X-Rays were taken of the jaw and teeth and looking at these on the computer it was clearly obvious where Emma’s problem was (at least with her jaw). The lower brace was fitted and we made an appointment for the following Saturday, 10th December.

10th December, Amir explained he usually eases in new patients for the first few weeks with a simple appliance but this would be a waste of time with Emma, she needs a lot of realignment so it was straight in at the deep end.
Upper and lower appliances were fitted, a real mouthful! With instructions on how and when to adjust them. Another appointment made for next Saturday.

So how has Emma got on?

Well it’s clearly too early to be drawing any conclusions yet, but after only a week, Emma’s TMJ pain has subsided from painful – unable to eat, through uncomfortable – soup and soft bread only, to bearable starting to begin to eat normally but gingerly.

*NOTE* I will not got into great detail about the braces/appliances that Emma has fitted, it’s a little bit pointless as these are made specifically for each patient weekly/monthly and will bear little or no resemblance to treatment for another individual. This really is bespoke treatment that evolves over time.

There are no extractions of teeth in this treatment, it is not comfortable, it will not give you overnight results (well it may do but it’s unusual). So why did we do it?

We figure if nothing else, this will leave Emma with no jaw pain and a lovely set of straight teeth and jaws with anything else a bonus. We are hopeful it is going to relieve some of Emma’s “MS” symptoms and having spoken to other MS patients who have seen and are seeing Amir, none of them have a bad word to say. Time will tell and I’ll update this thread with details of Emma’s progression each time there is something worth an update.
EJC
Family Elder

Re: AtlasBalance (jaw misalignment) Treatment - EJC

Post by EJC »

Emma is a month on from our initial consultation with Amir (and into her third week with applicances fitted), how has the theory worked with Emma?

It wasn't until 3rd December that Emma had a single lower brace fitted, up until this point she had been suffering severe pain of the TMJ on the right side of her face. It had become so chronic she was now unable to bite or chew and was on a soup only diet. The first lower brace started to alleviate this pain almost immediately, it took four to five days change from severe pain to a strong ache.

During this period Emma was also suffering debilitating Nueralgic pain to the forearm, hand, calf and foot all on her left side, to a degree that only valium and lidocain impregnated plasters were enabling her to sleep.

After the fitment of the lower brace this will still present, but started to ease.

10th December (a Saturday) we visited Amir again, Emma was fitted with more substantial (removeable) appliances for her upper and lower jaws. I'm provided with a small "key" and given insturctions on how to adjust each brace for size and frequency (again - this is bespoke treatment for each individual so the specifics are not relevant to everyone).

That night the Neuralic pain ceased altogether, the TMJ pain which had subsided during the previous week was now a very dull ache rather than pain, that over the next 7 days disappeared altogether.

On Thursday and Friday evenings (15th & 16th) Emmas Neuralgic pain returned, not as ferocious as pre brace but there nontheless.

Saturday 17th December we visited Amir and he made some larger adjustments to Emma's brace over and above the small ones I make daily. Emma will now continue with this brace until her next appointment on 3rd January.

During the appoinment Amir commented that Emma's left eye was far more stable (it dances around of it's own accord especially when Emma looks to the left), she hadn't said anything to me about this over the previous week so we discuseed it and Emma then said she'd been able to watch TV without her glasses and when in the car travelling no longer required the use of an eye patch on her left eye to stop motion sickness and double vision. The last time these symptoms were alleviated were in the 12 weeks post CCSVI procedure - but they slowly returned after that.

The neuralgic pain had again subsided on Saturday evening post brace adjustment it hadn't completely gone altogether but was substantially reduced over Thursday and Friday evenings.

Physical changes, Emma is more stable on her feet on the days of adjustment, She walk out of Amir surgery with more poise and pace then when she walks in, every time. The increments are small but they are there, this is really only something that will be quantifiable with hindsight some 3 to 6 months into treatment.

Next update early January unless there is anything of note worth posting in between.
EJC
Family Elder

Post by EJC »

Unexpected update.

We had cause to visit Amir this morning after only a few days, Emma had damage to her lower brace and it needed replacement. As a result she spent last night without either brace fitted (the upper is very uncomfortable without the lower fitted - they work together). She had a pretty rough night.

As we were sat in the waiting room for the technician to complete the brace Emma started to get Neuralgic pain in her left hand and asked me to grab some medicated pads fromt he car. We were chatting to Amir at the time, he asked Emma not to put the pads on but to come straight into the surgery where the new brace had just been finished.

Amir fitted both Upper and lower braces and aligned Emma's jaws as he wanted. Almost immediately the neuralgic pain subsided.

The explanation is that a nerve in the upper spine/neck area is being subjected to pressure, this was transmitting pain further down the nerve network which was being experienced in Emma's hand. In much the same way a trapped Sciatic nerve in the lower back manifests itself with leg pain.

It was quite something to see this, I've spent many a night with Emma crying in pain as we seemed unable to numb the nueralgic pain with anything other than valium and medicated pads.
Last edited by EJC on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amir
Family Elder

Post by Amir »

EJC wrote:Unexpected update.

As we were sat in the waiting room for the technician to complete the brace Emma started to get Neuralgic pain in her left hand and asked me to grab some medicated pads fromt he car. We were chatting to Amir at the time, he asked Emma not to put the pads on but to come straight into the surgery where the new brace had just been finished.

Amir fitted both Upper and lower braces and aligned Emma's jaws as he wanted. Almost immediately the neuralgic pain subsided.

The explanation is that a nerve in the upper spine/neck area is being subjected to pressure, this was transmitting pain further down the nerve network which was being experienced in Emma's hand. In much the same way a trapped Sciatic nerve in the lower back manifests itself with leg pain.

It was quite something to see this, I've spent many a night with Emma crying in pain as we weemed unable to numb the nueralgic pain with anything other than valium and medicated pads.

This illustrates that "demyelination" is a myth in many aches and pains that MS patients experience.

This pain is also experienced by many other patients not labelled with MS, who suffer from neck pain, arm pain, frozen shoulder etc.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Are there any photos on the net of the device your wife uses? or one you can upload and post?
EJC
Family Elder

Post by EJC »

CureOrBust wrote:Are there any photos on the net of the device your wife uses? or one you can upload and post?
Each appliance is made speciffically for each individual so there is no "generic" design, it may be upper, lower or a combination of both.

There is an inherent problem in posting images of what Emma has fitted, that being people will be tempted to print off images of the same, take them to their local orthodontist (who wouldn't find it difficult to replicate) and get all sorts of chaos casued to their jaw/teeth by someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

Amir is currently considering a way round this issue, an excerpt of an email I have from him this morning reads as follows:-

I am trying to organise a system where patients can have their online consultation and perhaps their first appliance and then instructions how to proceed.
Also it will be unethical to partially train people/dentists and could invite serious litigation especially from the USA
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

Does the "retainer" contain metal? Is treatment possible if the patient needs MRIs done?
EJC
Family Elder

Post by EJC »

whyRwehere wrote:Does the "retainer" contain metal? Is treatment possible if the patient needs MRIs done?
In Emmas case both appliances are removeable so she can eat. Yes they do contain metal wire.
THEGREEKFROMTHED
Family Elder

Post by THEGREEKFROMTHED »

Wow. So happy about improvements but that appliance, i keep picturing hanibal lectur!!
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

EJC wrote:
CureOrBust wrote:Are there any photos on the net of the device your wife uses? or one you can upload and post?
Each appliance is made speciffically for each individual so there is no "generic" design, it may be upper, lower or a combination of both.

There is an inherent problem in posting images of what Emma has fitted, that being people will be tempted to print off images of the same, take them to their local orthodontist (who wouldn't find it difficult to replicate) and get all sorts of chaos casued to their jaw/teeth by someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

Amir is currently considering a way round this issue, an excerpt of an email I have from him this morning reads as follows:-

I am trying to organise a system where patients can have their online consultation and perhaps their first appliance and then instructions how to proceed.
Also it will be unethical to partially train people/dentists and could invite serious litigation especially from the USA
There are hundreds of images on the web which have NO link to Dr Amir OR the appliance Emma actually has, but something similar may get the picture of hannibal from his head. Pick one that "looks" in the ballpark, but is obviously not exactly the same?
SOME POSSIBILITIES
EJC
Family Elder

Post by EJC »

Nope, nothing close in all those images.

Emma doesn't yet have a face mask or anything of that ilk.
Last edited by EJC on Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

...hmmm... :-? ...yes...the one missing was the Hannibal Lectur one... :razz:
THEGREEKFROMTHED
Family Elder

Post by THEGREEKFROMTHED »

this is the one i am wearing. I cant imagine why my wife wont sleep with me?
http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&biw= ... 29,r:2,s:0
EJC
Family Elder

Post by EJC »

One month update.

It's exactly a month to the day that Emma's first appliances were installed. We went to see Amir today for a check up and things are starting to move in Emma's jaw.

Already her facial features have changed, she has better skin colour, the Nueralgic pain that was so debillitating has not gone completely but has been reduced in frequency and severity by 70% to 80% and is reducing further over time. The jaw pain has gone completely.

Emma's left eye used to have a life of it's own all the time, this is now stable unless she is particularly tired and pushing the boundaries of her stamina levels. Motion sickness has almost entirely gone along with extreme sensitivity to electric light, particularly flourescents. There is still a sensitivity to light but much reduced.

No physical improvements yet to muscle stength, gait, balance etc Emma started off this treatment at EDSS 6.5 and remains the same. We do not expect to see any improvements in this area in the short term but do expect significant improvments long term (18 months plus).

This is the long game now, it's like a three dimensional logical problem. Certain parts have to move before others before everything starts to slot in to place. Unlike CCSVI this is the complete opposite to immediate improvements, much more slow gradual permanent improvements.

I asked Amir today at what point would he expect to address Emma's Atlas and upper spine. His response was not for some time yet (months) as there is still quite a way to go with Emma's jaw before it's even worth looking at. Even at that point it may well have corrected itself.

That's the intersting bit, something that should be considered before undertaking any upper cervical adjustment. Why is it not straight to start with?

There's no point adjusting the upper spine if the cause of it's misalignment is not addressed beforehand, otherwise all you will do is continually adjust a vertebra that will simply move back to where it was.

Next appointement is next Tuesday (10th Feb 2012) where Emma will be fitted with new braces as we've now reached the limit of adjustment in the current ones and some slight alterations need to be made.
Amir
Family Elder

Post by Amir »

EJC wrote:
That's the intersting bit, something that should be considered before undertaking any upper cervical adjustment. Why is it not straight to start with?
I will share an interesting story with you which I found on the internet:

"The myth of creation related by Sitchin says: "Soon after our solar system began to form, a planet thrust from another solar system passed near ours, was attracted inward, collided with a planet called Tiamat, broke her up to create Earth and the asteroid belt, and itself was captured into a great orbit around our sun to become the planet Nibiru. It was so 'Earthlike' that the Seed of Life, begun there, was transferred to Earth during the collision.

"Eons passed as life evolved on both Earth and Nibiru. In time the Anunnaki faced the prospect of extinction as they discovered Niburu was slowly losing its air supply; the only solution was through an elaborate process involving the dispersal of great quantities of gold into their failing atmosphere. When Nibiruian technology evolved sufficiently to allow space travel, the Anunnaki came to Earth, where they discovered vast stores of the gold they desperately needed.

"After an extended period of successful mining operations on Earth, the mine workers brought from Niburu rebelled, and the Anunnaki rulers on Earth decided to replace their own laborers with native Earth life. Their initial attempt was unsuccessful, so they resorted to genetic engineering to splice the native Homo erectus genes with the more complex Nibiruian genes. After several attempts, the Anunnaki succeeded in creating a hybrid species ideally suited to their needs — the one we now call Homo sapiens.

"The myth goes on to relate the trials and tribulations that arose as a consequence of interbreeding and uncontrollable population growth. War broke out, and a decision was made to rid the planet of the new species through massive floods. From there, Sitchin's saga parallels many of the Bible stories that he claims are adaptations of earlier Sumerian writings.

"........ The luxated C1 was deliberately engineered into the Homo sapiens coding by the Anunnaki in order to render their native pool of mining slaves more docile, programmable, and controllable. This mechanism has remained in the human genetic makeup ever since, and I suspect it is well known to those who understand how best to exploit such things."

In spite of my personal disagreement with this story I hope this answers your question about why the Atlas is out of alignment!