Stenosis of vertebral veins

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
DrDiana
Family Elder

Stenosis of vertebral veins

Post by DrDiana »

Hi all,

Can you guys help catch me up on what has been said about stenosis of our vertebral veins?
When I first had angioplasty, no one was really looking at these veins. In some of us, though, venous disease is systemic, and I wonder if a second look isn't needed, as vertebral venous stenosis may (?) cause some symptomology in the vertical position?

Does anyone know "the latest scoop" on our vertebral veins?

Thanks so much!
:confused: Diana
Dr. Diana

Special interest in "brain drains" and how they affect numerous conditions, including MS, Ehlers-Danlos, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, etc. I am a therapeutic optometrist on professional disability with EDS, POTS, CCSVI, mast cell disea
Cece
Family Elder

Re: Stenosis of vertebral veins

Post by Cece »

here's a case by Dr. Sclafani in which he performed vertebral vein angioplasty:
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/chronic-c ... ml#p188661
If a jugular is hypoplastic or occluded, I would think the vertebral veins rise in importance. But this was an unusual case. In almost all patients, to the best of my knowledge, the IRs are not interrogating or treating these veins. These veins are smaller than the major veins being treated (jugulars, azygous, renal, even the innominate). I think these veins do warrant investigation but perhaps not immediate investigation since there is so much to be done. I am curious what there is in the medical literature to support the presence of valves in the vertebral veins.

I don't think the vertebral veins would be limited to causing symptoms only when we are upright. If there is CCSVI in the major veins, the verts may be used as collaterals, even when supine; and if they have a blockage too, then we are ever more affected.

http://www.ajnr.org/content/23/8/1418.full
Ultrasonographic Evaluation of Vertebral Venous Valves
of interest because the stenosis in the IJVs is often valvular and so stenosis in VVs may be valvular as well

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”