New research- UV rays, nitric oxide and MS symptom relief

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

New research- UV rays, nitric oxide and MS symptom relief

Postby cheerleader » Sat May 03, 2014 8:12 am

The sun is free. No prescription needed.
10-15 minutes of sunshine or UVB phototherapy sends Treg cells flowing from the lymph nodes to sites of inflammation in people with MS. People with MS had symptom relief in a study completed by German neurologists and published last week.

Regulatory T cells (Tregs), which are induced locally in the skin-draining lymph nodes in response to UVB exposure, connect the cutaneous immune response to CNS immunity by migration to the sites of inflammation (blood, spleen, CNS). Here, they attenuate the inflammatory response and ameliorate disease symptoms.


Why the skin releases healing T cells when exposed to UV--
as Dr. Richard Weller's research is showing is, it's thanks to nitric oxide.
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com/2014/04/m ... mptom.html


cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
User avatar
cheerleader
Family Elder
 
Posts: 5077
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: southern California

Advertisement

Re: New research- UV rays, nitric oxide and MS symptom relie

Postby MarkW » Wed May 07, 2014 6:30 am

cheerleader wrote:The sun is free. No prescription needed.
10-15 minutes of sunshine or UVB phototherapy sends Treg cells flowing from the lymph nodes to sites of inflammation in people with MS. People with MS had symptom relief in a study completed by German neurologists and published last week.
Regulatory T cells (Tregs), which are induced locally in the skin-draining lymph nodes in response to UVB exposure, connect the cutaneous immune response to CNS immunity by migration to the sites of inflammation (blood, spleen, CNS). Here, they attenuate the inflammatory response and ameliorate disease symptoms.

Why the skin releases healing T cells when exposed to UV--
as Dr. Richard Weller's research is showing is, it's thanks to nitric oxide.
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com/2014/04/m ... mptom.html
cheer

As someone who has just spent over 2 weeks on a sun-lounger in Spain I am delighted to gain further evidence for sunshine therapy. For those less fortunate (they do not live in California or can get sunshine in April) I suggest the vein health program including vit D3 as an affordable alternative.
MarkW
Mark Walker - Oxfordshire, England. Registered Pharmacist (UK). 11 years of study around MS.
Mark's CCSVI Report 7-Mar-11:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8359854/MS-experts-in-Britain-have-to-open-their-minds.html
User avatar
MarkW
Family Elder
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:00 pm
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Re: New research- UV rays, nitric oxide and MS symptom relie

Postby cheerleader » Wed May 07, 2014 7:13 am

Glad you had the Spanish adventure, Mark!
As Dr. Weller discusses in his TED talk, you don't get the same thing from vitamin D---It's the way the UV rays release nitrates from our skin, and this in turn releases Treg cells from lymph nodes. Has to be rays from the sun or a special lamp via dendritic cells. All new research.

Check out his talk---he's a very funny and entertaining scientist, I think you'll appreciate!
https://www.ted.com/talks/richard_welle ... your_heart

best,
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
User avatar
cheerleader
Family Elder
 
Posts: 5077
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: southern California

Re: New research- UV rays, nitric oxide and MS symptom relie

Postby MarkW » Thu May 08, 2014 12:27 am

cheerleader wrote:Glad you had the Spanish adventure, Mark!
As Dr. Weller discusses in his TED talk, you don't get the same thing from vitamin D---It's the way the UV rays release nitrates from our skin, and this in turn releases Treg cells from lymph nodes. Has to be rays from the sun or a special lamp via dendritic cells. All new research.
Check out his talk---he's a very funny and entertaining scientist, I think you'll appreciate!
https://www.ted.com/talks/richard_welle ... your_heart
best,
cheer

I agree that natural sunshine is best, after all humans evolved to live in daylight, not with electric lights. The Scots miss out on all of the benefits of regular sunshine. My point is that vitD3 is one element which can be replaced for a few pence a day as can the vein health supplements. I will review his research as I am interested to know if his special lamps mimic complete sunshine or just rays which trigger vitD3 and NO or just the part needed to stimulate NO.
I am fortunate to get bursts of real sunshine throughout the year, and live on the edge of Oxford. A city renown for its dreaming spires not its sunny climate.
Kind regards,
MarkW
Mark Walker - Oxfordshire, England. Registered Pharmacist (UK). 11 years of study around MS.
Mark's CCSVI Report 7-Mar-11:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8359854/MS-experts-in-Britain-have-to-open-their-minds.html
User avatar
MarkW
Family Elder
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:00 pm
Location: Oxfordshire, England

Re: New research- UV rays, nitric oxide and MS symptom relie

Postby cheerleader » Thu May 08, 2014 2:45 pm

Dr. Weller uses UVA rays from phototherapy lamps on his lab assistants, to separate his results from Vitamin D levels. No mice---and he shows how his results are independent of vitamin D levels. It's all about nitric oxide.
Honestly, it's really worth 10 minutes to listen to him explain it. He does a much better job than I ever will, plus he speaks your UK English--he says VIH-ta-min D----not VY-ta-min D like me... :)
https://www.ted.com/talks/richard_welle ... your_heart
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
User avatar
cheerleader
Family Elder
 
Posts: 5077
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: southern California

Re: New research- UV rays, nitric oxide and MS symptom relie

Postby Donnchadh » Fri May 09, 2014 5:14 pm

Interesting. Yesterday I had to wait outside for about a half hour for my Postmaster to arrive. Here in northern Illinois,
it was the first day over 70 degrees and sunny. Usually, I rarely go outside.

Today, my symptoms were a little bit better and I couldn't figure out why.

It might have been due to the sunshine?

Donnchadh
Kitty says, "Take that, you stenosis!"

Got MS?.....Get Liberated!
User avatar
Donnchadh
Family Elder
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: New research- UV rays, nitric oxide and MS symptom relie

Postby cheerleader » Fri May 09, 2014 5:59 pm

Donnchadh wrote:Interesting. Yesterday I had to wait outside for about a half hour for my Postmaster to arrive. Here in northern Illinois,
it was the first day over 70 degrees and sunny. Usually, I rarely go outside.

Today, my symptoms were a little bit better and I couldn't figure out why.

It might have been due to the sunshine?

Donnchadh


Could be, D! Hard to know what does what with MS---but the sunshine might have been the ticket. Maybe try it again and again, and see if the benefit persists? 10-15 minutes a day shouldn't be harmful. You don't want to burn.

I got a nice e-mail from Dr. Weller today---he sent along this new paper. Longer life in Swedish women is linked to more sun exposure. Avoiding the sun simply isn't good for us.

We found that all-cause mortality was inversely related to sun exposure habits in a ‘dose- dependent‘ manner. The mortality rate was increased two-fold among avoiders of sun exposure as compared to those with the highest sun exposure habits.

We conclude that women who avoid sun exposure are at an increased risk of all-cause death with a two-fold increased mortality rate as compared to those with the highest sun exposures. The implementation of restrictive sun exposure advice in countries with low solar intensity might not be beneficial to women’s health.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 1/abstract

Doctors are beginning to rethink the advice on sun avoidance to lessen risk of melanoma---and how this is impacting our health.
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
User avatar
cheerleader
Family Elder
 
Posts: 5077
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: southern California

Re: New research- UV rays, nitric oxide and MS symptom relie

Postby lyndacarol » Sun May 18, 2014 2:11 pm

Once again, I am confused (so what else is new!).

I have always thought the sun was good for us. I have tried to soak up the sunshine for 10-15 minutes per day. I thought nitric oxide was the key – a positive. And yet, I become very weak (a "noodle") after my time in the sun (without even raising my body temp).

Now today I read in the book, Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses by Sally Pacholok, RN, BSN and Jeffrey J. Stewart, D.O. on page 214:

A number of prescription drugs, too, can deplete B12 stores, particularly in older patients. Among the most common are proton pump inhibitors, metformin (Glucophage), H-2 blockers, antacids, anticonvulsants, some antibiotics, and colchicine. Nitric oxide and other nitrates (nitroprusside) oxidized B12 and may also induce deficiency. In young and middle-aged women, birth control pills are a common culprit.

Since I currently believe that B12 status is critically important in MS symptoms, I am caught in the middle. I accept that MS is not the same for everyone, that there may be several different "causes" – maybe vitamin B12 deficiency and nitric oxide are negative for ME.
User avatar
lyndacarol
Family Elder
 
Posts: 2351
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:00 pm

Re: New research- UV rays, nitric oxide and MS symptom relie

Postby cheerleader » Sun May 18, 2014 6:34 pm

Hi Lynda--
That quote confused "nitric oxide" with "nitrous oxide."
Two completely different things. One is an external drug and one is made by our bodies.
I've written about this before--

I get this question a lot. Thought I'd take the time to break it down in English (as opposed to chemistry talk, which still makes my head spin.)

Nitric Oxide (NO) is NOT the same as Nitrous Oxide (N2O).
Nitric Oxide is one molecule of nitrogen, one of oxygen.
Nitrous Oxide has 2 molecules of nitrogen, and one of oxygen.
And that extra molecule of nitrogen changes the gas completely.

Nitrous Oxide (N2O) has been getting some press recently, since Demi Moore was hospitalized for inhaling canned Nitrous Oxide (in a form called "whippets") and having a seizure. Nitrous oxide is used in aerosol cans, to propel whipped cream or cooking spray out of the bottle.

Nitrous Oxide (N20) is what they give you at the dentist's office....also called "laughing gas." I had my wisdom teeth out on Nitrous Oxide, and it made me so loopy, I was laughing while the oral surgeon was sawing into my jawbone to remove my impacted wisdom teeth. It's powerful stuff. And should not be used recreationally.

What I started writing about and investigating for Jeff's health was endothelially derived nitric oxide or eNOS, which is made inside your own body

https://www.facebook.com/notes/ccsvi-in ... 2906572211

Yes, nitrous oxide will deplete B12---people who abuse "laughing gas" have this problem.
https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/353623
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.asp ... eid=403433

They also mention nitroprusside, which is an external, pharmacological form of NO---again, NOT the same as eNOS.
Nitric oxide, which is made by our bodies and derived from our own endothelial cells (eNOS)--is a good guy. It actually helps with B!2 absorption. It must remain eNOS (the e is for endothelial), and not collect anymore oxidative molecules (from smoking, high blood pressure, high glucose)--because that changes eNOS and makes it an oxidative stressor. A healthy lifestyle will keep all in balance. And UV rays are part of this.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23363713
http://groups.csail.mit.edu/sls/publica ... -02492.pdf
Hope that explains it better!
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
User avatar
cheerleader
Family Elder
 
Posts: 5077
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: southern California

Re: New research- UV rays, nitric oxide and MS symptom relie

Postby lyndacarol » Mon May 19, 2014 7:05 am

cheerleader wrote:Hi Lynda--
That quote confused "nitric oxide" with "nitrous oxide."
Two completely different things. One is an external drug and one is made by our bodies.
I've written about this before--

I get this question a lot. Thought I'd take the time to break it down in English (as opposed to chemistry talk, which still makes my head spin.)

Nitric Oxide (NO) is NOT the same as Nitrous Oxide (N2O).
Nitric Oxide is one molecule of nitrogen, one of oxygen.
Nitrous Oxide has 2 molecules of nitrogen, and one of oxygen.
And that extra molecule of nitrogen changes the gas completely.

Nitrous Oxide (N2O) has been getting some press recently, since Demi Moore was hospitalized for inhaling canned Nitrous Oxide (in a form called "whippets") and having a seizure. Nitrous oxide is used in aerosol cans, to propel whipped cream or cooking spray out of the bottle.

Nitrous Oxide (N20) is what they give you at the dentist's office....also called "laughing gas." I had my wisdom teeth out on Nitrous Oxide, and it made me so loopy, I was laughing while the oral surgeon was sawing into my jawbone to remove my impacted wisdom teeth. It's powerful stuff. And should not be used recreationally.

What I started writing about and investigating for Jeff's health was endothelially derived nitric oxide or eNOS, which is made inside your own body

https://www.facebook.com/notes/ccsvi-in ... 2906572211

Yes, nitrous oxide will deplete B12---people who abuse "laughing gas" have this problem.
https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/353623
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.asp ... eid=403433

They also mention nitroprusside, which is an external, pharmacological form of NO---again, NOT the same as eNOS.
Nitric oxide, which is made by our bodies and derived from our own endothelial cells (eNOS)--is a good guy. It actually helps with B!2 absorption. It must remain eNOS (the e is for endothelial), and not collect anymore oxidative molecules (from smoking, high blood pressure, high glucose)--because that changes eNOS and makes it an oxidative stressor. A healthy lifestyle will keep all in balance. And UV rays are part of this.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23363713
http://groups.csail.mit.edu/sls/publica ... -02492.pdf
Hope that explains it better!
cheer

I thank you very much for your thoughts, cheerleader. I do understand the difference between nitric oxide and nitrous oxide; Pacholok/Stuart explain very clearly what nitrous oxide does to B12 (they even discuss "whippets"). Could It Be B12? is so very well written, with such attention to detail, that I could not imagine that they had let such an error get through proofreading – but I suppose it is always possible. This is something that should be called to their attention so that the publisher could add an "Errata"page to future copies (I will, but so should everyone else with a copy.).
User avatar
lyndacarol
Family Elder
 
Posts: 2351
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:00 pm

Re: New research- UV rays, nitric oxide and MS symptom relie

Postby cheerleader » Mon May 19, 2014 7:31 am

This confusion happens a lot, Lynda...even in medical books. There is a difference between eNOS (what the body makes) and external forms of nitrates...and "nitric oxide" is often used as the generic term for all supplemental or external forms of the gas (sometimes mistakenly including nitrous oxide.)

What we want to increase is our body's own form of endothelially derived nitric oxide--eNOS--with nutrition, exercise and lifestyle changes. Because eNOS is linked to longevity and good health. And eNOS is what UV rays will increase.
http://www.immunityageing.com/content/9/1/26
http://cardiovascres.oxfordjournals.org ... 2/261.long
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
User avatar
cheerleader
Family Elder
 
Posts: 5077
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: southern California

Re: New research- UV rays, nitric oxide and MS symptom relie

Postby Cece » Mon May 19, 2014 7:43 am

lyndacarol wrote:I have always thought the sun was good for us. I have tried to soak up the sunshine for 10-15 minutes per day. I thought nitric oxide was the key – a positive. And yet, I become very weak (a "noodle") after my time in the sun (without even raising my body temp).

It's 100% not related to body temp? If you are drinking ice water, it still happens?
Cece
Family Elder
 
Posts: 9044
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: New research- UV rays, nitric oxide and MS symptom relie

Postby lyndacarol » Mon May 19, 2014 7:58 am

Cece wrote:
lyndacarol wrote:I have always thought the sun was good for us. I have tried to soak up the sunshine for 10-15 minutes per day. I thought nitric oxide was the key – a positive. And yet, I become very weak (a "noodle") after my time in the sun (without even raising my body temp).

It's 100% not related to body temp? If you are drinking ice water, it still happens?

Yes, Cece. I drink ice water all the time. It does not help me recover. After sitting in the sun for 15 minutes (in a very cool ambient air temperature) I become a noodle and only lying down for at least 30 minutes allows me to return to normal.

I welcome any suggestions on how I can avoid this "noodle" state – it is very annoying.
User avatar
lyndacarol
Family Elder
 
Posts: 2351
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:00 pm

Re: New research- UV rays, nitric oxide and MS symptom relie

Postby NHE » Mon May 19, 2014 9:16 pm

cheerleader wrote:What I started writing about and investigating for Jeff's health was endothelially derived nitric oxide or eNOS, which is made inside your own body


eNOS is actually the enzyme that makes NO, i.e., endothelial nitric oxide synthase.
User avatar
NHE
Volunteer Moderator
 
Posts: 3400
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:00 pm

Re: New research- UV rays, nitric oxide and MS symptom relie

Postby cheerleader » Tue May 20, 2014 7:16 am

Thanks, NHE--

eNOS is an enzyme, a gene, an isoform and a heme protein....I use eNOS to differentiate between NO from outside the body, and NO from within. Because there becomes confusion about nitrates found in processed foods or nitrous oxide (which are harmful), and NO which is metabolized in the healthy, functioning body. Wanted to keep FB and lay person info more simple. But you're right...I should say "eNOS derived NO". For those who want more, there is great new research on eNOS derived NO and red blood cells.

In healthy blood vessels, eNOS-derived NO contributes to the regulation of blood flow and blood pressure, is an inhibitor of platelet activation and aggregation as well as leukocyte adhesion and migration [12]. Furthermore, endothelial eNOS appears to contribute to the formation of bioactive circulating NO metabolites [13], [14], [15], [16] and [17] (Fig. 1) that participate in important endocrine activities such as hypoxic vasodilation, blood pressure regulation, gene expression and cytoprotection following myocardial infarction [18], [19], [20], [21], [22], [23], [24], [25], [26] and [27]. Mice genetically deficient in endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS-/-) are hypertensive and have lower circulating nitrite levels, demonstrating the importance of constitutively produced NO to blood pressure regulation and vascular homeostasis [14], [28], [29] and [30].

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 171400010X

There are hundreds of new papers on NO, endothelial biomarkers and endothelial health and dysfunction in all major disease, including MS. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24228622 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24416810
It's good to see the research continuing in this field.

But to get back to the topic.....UV rays release inflammation healing Treg cells, (in part due to NO)--and were shown to reduce inflammation and symptoms in people with MS.

cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
User avatar
cheerleader
Family Elder
 
Posts: 5077
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: southern California

Next

Return to Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Contact us | Terms of Service