MS and Sweating

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Jamie
Family Elder

Post by Jamie »

It's just hit and miss some people sweat more.

I think its more apt to say that perhaps people with have MS have problems regulating heat and sweating one way or another.

The way some people go too much others not enough etc.

All depends on brain region damage I guess.

Good to get some relief no matter which way you are but for example I don't have MS but sweat a lot.

I didn't use to in England but do in Houston, I know its hotter but even when others won't be I will - after 5 years I thought I'd aclimatise!

Although Mel does remember that she did stop sweating into her MS (she remembers because people at Uni used to take the mickey out of her because she hated to sweat (make up etc) and was moving to Houston) but then she just used to get clammy in heat (and obviously dizzy, double vision, fatigue and brain fog which mercifully has ceased).

Onwards and Upwards y'all !!
zap
Family Elder

Post by zap »

This isn't a sweating technique, but it worked great for cooling off - I'd noticed that when I sued my laptop on top of my lap, I'd get roasting hot very quickly - and realized it was heating up my blood supply - the huge arteries and such in the thighs, which are very easy to influence on me since I have like no leg fat at all.

So when on a roadtrip in a car with no AC in the 95 degree sun for hours, I bought a couple bags of ice at the gas station, double bagged them, and let them sit one on each thigh for the rest of the trip - worked great!
daniel
Family Elder

Post by daniel »

skydog wrote:Aside from the brief period following surgery I have not been able to sweat for nearly three years.
...snip...
Mark, do you mean that you're once again no longer able to sweat?
GiCi
Family Elder

sweating

Post by GiCi »

It is interesting to notice the reported increase in sweating following stent procedures in Stanford, in addition with problems with the accessory nerve, complications that to my knowledge do not belong to Zamboni's experience.
GiCi
cheerleader
Family Elder

Re: sweating

Post by cheerleader »

GiCi wrote:It is interesting to notice the reported increase in sweating following stent procedures in Stanford, in addition with problems with the accessory nerve, complications that to my knowledge do not belong to Zamboni's experience.
GiCi
Jeff doesn't consider sweating a "complication." He is thrilled to be over his heat intolerance. We live in southern California, where it is in the 90s this week. He is happy to be sweating and self cooling, rather than falling asleep. :) Dr. Zamboni reported better heat tolerance in his patients, also.
I think the sweating is a sign that his thermoregulatory system and emissary veins are working. And his new deoderent is helping!
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
jay123
Family Elder

Gici--

Post by jay123 »

Gici,
I agree with Cheer, any return to 'normal' functionality (i.e. sweating) has to be a good thing, especially if the proper deodorant is around!

A question for you though, do you think the worry of stents over time in difficult areas to access are less valuable/more dangerous than having to repeat the angioplasty every year or so? It just seems to me the stents make so much sense rather than the risk of increased disease activity from the problem re-occurring if redoing angioplasty isn't done on time.

Do you know of any data about how often stents need to be bypassed? Your point of not being able to do a bypass of a stent deep in the skull is a good one, but do 90% or 1% of stents end up needing bypasses?

Thanks Cheer and Gici for the great info!
CNClear
Family Member

Post by CNClear »

I have always hated how my face turns tomato red! That has been happening much more lately even tho I dont sweat very much and never have, even when I was much more active, but my face gets red and hot and blotchy very easily now...I am sure hoping this will improve...and I think it will as my body learns to regulate temp better...

Seems like quite a few of us have the red face thing...or did before the surgery...has that gotten better??

Lisa
skydog
Family Elder

Post by skydog »

Sorry daniel for not clarifying my earlier post, the short time I did manage to sweat was just after stenting of my upper right jugular June 30th, This lasted for about a week then yes now back to no sweat which has been the norm for me the past three years. The reason to me seems that the re stenosis found during my checkup Sept.1st is causing a return of all the prior symptoms of which I was enjoying a break from. I am in the wait and see mode until I hear back from Dr. Dake who is watching the results of some similar patients and treatments. Cheers, Mark now enjoying the return of the much cooler north coast weather.
Plant a BIG Garden Live in the Moment
GiCi
Family Elder

stents and sweating

Post by GiCi »

Jay123,
There are a few facts that need be considered before embracing any type of explanations.
1.The jugular vein is located inside a membranous sheet and packed together with other important structures, i.e. the carotid artery, the vagus nerve and its accessory branch. The higher we go (towards the base of the skull), the more these structures are tightly packed. The tunnell is surrounded by the neck muscles and is in contact with the sympathetic cervical nerves.
It is therefore possibile that a rigid structure, like a stent, placed high up into the jugular vein, may interfere with the function of adjacent structures.

2. Sweating is regulated by the sympathetic nervous system

3. Stimulation of the vagus nerve may cause nausea and vomiting

4. Irritation of the accessory branch may cause pain and spasms in the shoulder

In order to try to reply to your other questions I must clarify that there is no reported evidence regarding the fate of stents in the jugular veins: we simply do not know because the experience is being built up, thanks to the bravery of many patients who accepted to be guinea pigs for the benefit of others.
If stents stay open for ever we will open the champagne, if they do not their removal or re-opening is not going to be a walk in the park.
In addition, we cannot extrapolate the behaviour of stents in other anatomical locations and apply it to the jugular stents: this is a new location never used before.

Based on the evidence provided so far, my personal opinion is that I would prefer to undergo a balloon dilatation every six months rather that having a stent. I understand that Dr Dake experience is different from Zamboni's one, in that he found the stenosis high up towards the skull and, according to his reports, balloon dilatation was not effective: apparently stents offered the only solution.

I hope my answer to your questions is satisfactory.
GiCi
jay123
Family Elder

thanks

Post by jay123 »

Gici,
Thanks for the well thought out reply.
I am still totally confused what to do, but I appreciate your thoughts. I don't think my ins would pay to go to Italy for the ballons though!
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

Sweating?! Oh, geez - prior to the surgery, I would buy deodorant and throw it out because it would dry up - I never used it! I have had to adjust to my new activity of sweating. The deodorant goes on everyday, and I had my hair cut shorter. I do not necessarily like dealing with the new "now", but I recognize it as being a healthy, normal body function and glad to have the temp gauge working correctly again.

Sharon

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”