Do something now or better to just hold off?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Johnnymac
Family Elder

Do something now or better to just hold off?

Post by Johnnymac »

Morning folks...my question is in regards to the 'other' things that I've seen put out there that could possible help with blood flow problems.

Specifically what I'm curious about is if there is a stenosis or restriction of sorts, is it better to try and stimulate blood flow through that stenosis or better to try and perhaps just thin the blood in hopes of better flow?

I ask because there are a few things that seem like possible red flags. If there is in fact a constriction in the vein, we don't know without getting tested if that constriction is due to physical influences (bone pressing, etc..) or congenital (veins not there or tangled, etc..) or whatever the cause may be. If there are collateral veins that have formed to help the blood flow, and these collateral veins are the primary culprit of reflux wouldn't it be a bad idea to stimulate flow through those veins?

I'm of course a little ignorant on all the things that can be done (herbs/supplements/diet/exercise/etc)...but I'm in the process of figuring it all out and I'm just a little nervous about what things may be beneficial and what may potentially be harmful without fixing any structural problem first.

Hope that all makes sense
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey there J, ppl have been 'doing things' for decades before there was any real knowledge about the vascular implications that are unfolding now.
there are a lot of knowns about the benefits of diet, exercise, supplements, and lifestyle in general. it's better to do the most you can while we wait for future opportunities along the ... um... jugular vein :S lol
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
selkie
Family Elder

Post by selkie »

Hard to know, Johnnymac. If I were younger and not on Tysabri or feeling that my MS was progressing beyond the RR stage, I think I might want to either participate in a study for the testing only and also try some of the alternatives you mentioned.

I think it's very individual, as to how sick is the person? Dr. Zamboni said, the longer a person waits to have the Liberation treatment, the less recovery will take place.

That prompts me because I've lost a lot. I'm willing to risk, even death, but then i'm older, probably SP, and have little to lose.

Good luck. In the meantime I do take baby aspirin and eat foods to thin the blood. Your question about the veins forming around the blocked veins is an interesting one though - if there's reflux though, then I'd say they aren't doing their job either. But it's always a good idea when you think about thinning the blood to talk to your doctor before beginning any kind of program that would alter your blood flow.

Best of luck to you and your lady.

selkie

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”