Westmount Square Medical Imaging Montreal Now!

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
capegirl
Getting to Know You...

Buffalo vs. Montreal

Post by capegirl »

Hi,

I have been reading about people's experiences at the Westmount Clinic. I just recently found out about Montreal and that they are offering Doppler testing for CCSVI. I am also from Canada, Nova Scotia in fact and have applied to the Buffalo Diagnostic Testing at $4500 US, I am waiting to hear from them. The testing in Montreal is cheaper but is it as complete as the one they are offering in Buffalo and also they do not offer MRV in Montreal. I am confused as to which way to go. I would appreciate any input/opinions on this if possible.

My one problem with all this testing in Buffalo or Montreal is that once the results are in there is not much that can be done right now in North America unless you are in a study to have a procedure done - very frustrating. Poland is looking very attractive.

Liz
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

Hi capegirl,

False Creek Surgical Centre in Vancouver is offering testing. Apparently Dr. Simka is there this week for a consult which in encouraging. You can make an inquiry as to whether or not they offer MRV. Or take a look at the FCSC thread.

http://www.nationalsurgery.com/fcsc.html

Best, PN
fiddler
Family Elder

Testing and Procedure

Post by fiddler »

Hi Liz,

It will be frustrating to have CCSVI testing done, only to find that nobody in North America will do anything about it. However, that is changing. I put together some of the options for someone in Quebec who wants to know how to get on a "list" for someplace that can do something about it, if you are found to have CCSVI. It's at: http://my-darn-ms.blogspot.com/2010/03/ ... -list.html

As you can see, the options are growing and, if the early successes hold out, will grow even more, but depending on your situation, getting on a list as soon as possible may make sense.

Hey, if Sidney can score a winner, maybe you can, too! :D
...Ted
Dx SPMS in 2004.  Liberated 29/04/2010.
My blog: www.my-darn-ms.blogspot.com
capegirl
Getting to Know You...

Post by capegirl »

Thank you both PN and Ted for your helpful information. I have some reservations about the Westmount Clinic, they do not have the MRV yet and I worry that the results may show a false negative. Thanks for you list Ted, very helpful. I have contacted Albany to inquire as to what is happening there and to get on a list. I am going to contact Poland now. Hopefully something will come up in the next year closer to home.

You are fairly close to me, just a province away, I am in Sydney, Cape Breton and you obviously watched Sidney Crosby - it was great, I watched it too. If it would only be so easy for all of us. Goodluck with your trip to Poland, let us know how it works out. I seem to be a bit late out of the gate on some of this. Thanks again.

Liz
Jaguar
Family Member

Post by Jaguar »

Capegirl
I live a few blocks away from the Westmount Clinic. I've had the doppler scans done by the same gentleman who does them at the clinic, but mine were done at a hospital where he also works. I realized after the scans that they were not important to me as, with all the best intentions, the scans were still done without the benefit of the specialized training I think is necessary. Whatever the scans show is suspect... so much so that I haven't even looked at them.

I don't think Westmount Clinic has ever represented the scans as anything more than something they are exploring and learning from... just one element that by itself tells you little. I think that's fine, especially seeing as in Canada it's just about impossible to get the scans done under medicare. So if you must have a scan for your peace of mind, then at least there are some clinics to go to.

But... I'm glad I didn't have to pay. I know that if... when... I go to Poland (2011 is a long way away)... I will go irregardless of the scans I had here, and will trust that I will be scanned properly in Poland.

My point is... if you don't have 100% confidence in the scan and its interpretation... why do it?
babiezuique
Family Elder

Post by babiezuique »

Be cautious with Westmount square clinic!

i received a result from a venous doppler i did here in Montreal and i wanted to have your opinion on the way they are giving me the results...

They say they follow the zamboni's protocol. The only test they offer to diagnose CCSVI is this craniocervical venous doppler. They dont offer neither the extracranial doppler neither the MRV. We all know that a venour doppler is not enougnt to conclude anything.

this is the result a received from them:

Final diagnostic imaging report from DR Jeff CHankowsky he is a neuro radiologist who work at MC Gill Hospital

Craniocervical venous doppler

Technique:

The examination was perform according to Zamboni protocol, evaluating the cervical, jugular and vertebral venous system, both supine an upright.

Findings:

Both internal jugular veins demonstrate prominent cardiocentric flow in the supine position, wich is normal. Very tiny amounts of reflux are seen
lasting less than 0,25 seconds, wich is normal. In the upright position, both internal jugular veins collapsed significantly, wich is an expected finding.

No anatomical stenoses nor compressions of the jugular veins are noted.

In the supine position, the vertebral veins demonstrate proper flow toward the heart. However there is a definite left vertebral venous reflux with the head rotated to the right in the supine position. This reflus is sustained and is pathological.

The remainder of the study demonstrates no other fondings that are pathological.

Conclusion:

This study demonstrates only one pathological entity, wich is susustained reflux in the vein int he upright position,wich only satisfies one of the five Zamboni's criteria for a positive screening doppler examination. Acording to the recent publication, at least two findings should be present for the study to be consider a positive screening study.

Therefore, this study demonstrates one abnormality, which might be an incidental finding.

Reported by doctor Jeff Chankowsky Mc Gill Hospital

1- how come they tell me i dont encounter the CCSVI criteria for a ccsvi while I only did a doppler that is not an extracranial one... They tell me i dont have ccsvi.... but this test can not be in any way conclusive.

I need your point of view on this!
urious! you are becoming very good at reading and finding things poeple dont know! This Manoj story is an inspiration for me... to because i received a result from a venous doppler i did here in Montreal and i wanted to have your opinion on the way they are giving me the results...
Farmer
Getting to Know You...

Post by Farmer »

Hi capegirl
In Surrey BC you can get a MRV at
Access MRI $ 1400
www.accessmri.com
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

Hi Y'all

Did everyone see False Creek posts by Happy Canuck & Gordon? Check 'em out.

PN
Bizzy
Family Member

I'm going for testing at Westmount

Post by Bizzy »

I know that if I have problems with my jugular veins that I might not find someone here in Canada who can treat it but I'm just curious. To me it's worth the $450 to know that if and when treatment does become available that I might be a candidate.
Barbiezuique - you say to be cautious with Westmount but you also have your name on the list for Poland - is this because of the results you got?
annad
Family Elder

Post by annad »

Hi to all!
I literally just got through our front door after a long drive to Westmount.

My question is if the issue isn't with the usual suspects (jugulars and azygos) is it treatable? I was told that I have a vein between my R jugular and azygos that has blood flowing both directions. That's not good. I don't have the write up yet, just going by what Michael said to me.

Any ideas???
a
Vhoenecke
Family Elder

Post by Vhoenecke »

Wow, Annad.

They found something in your veins. That is good news for you! No one seems to have the same problems which explains all of the different types of MS. You are on your way now. Compared with this time last year we are cooking with gas!!

All the best and ttyl.
markus77
Family Elder

Post by markus77 »

i just spoke with Westmount. they say now they offer the MRV. doppler and MRV are around $1200.
STAY REAL MY FRIENDS

dx 1989, spms
mag00
Getting to Know You...

report anomalies

Post by mag00 »

Hi,

What I find interesting is all the information omitted from
the final report.

What Michael told me and what is in the report are quite different.

Waste of $500 imho ;(

I was never sent the final report either. Had to ask my neurologist
to send me a copy, still waiting.

not impressed
BELOU
Family Elder

Re: report anomalies

Post by BELOU »

I want to book but they need a paper from your doctor and all doctors that I know don't want to write down such paper... Nobody knows a doctor that would do the prescription?
babiezuique
Family Elder

Post by babiezuique »

Next to the imagery clinic there is a medical clinic and there they fill you a prescription to do the tests....they can inform you about this at the wesmount square...