Coming off Copaxone

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Copaxone

Re: Coming off Copaxone

Postby just1yogi » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:43 am

I saw my new neuro on 11/21. She said to stop taking Copaxone.
The good news is no more shots. The bad news is that she says I am now SPMS and that the Copaxone will no longer be affective.
I guess my insurance will be happy to save $3000/month. And I know I will be happy to not have a $300/month copay.

I will see the Doc again in 3 weeks for a discussion on what to do next, but it appears from what I have read that there are not many options to discuss. I think that for right now I am just happy to remove a drug from my list.
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:51 pm


Re: Coming off Copaxone

Postby Froggie » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:41 pm


I've been on Rebif (Interferon beta 1a) for almost 2 years now. I switched in March of 2010 and it's working well for me. My neuro at the time did not want to bring out the "big guns" as in Tysabri or chemo therapy and wanted to see how an interferon would do. He did, however, also see if I was interested in participating in a study with Gilenya, which I did not do. I had an MRI done in March of this year to see where I was and if the Rebif was being efficacious. There was no new activity and I decided if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I know how overwhelming it can be to read through all the literature, watch all the DVD's, etc. when you're researching therapies. I thought my head was going to explode from information overload! Part of my Rebif decision was ease of injection. Like the Copaxone, pre-filled syringes were a positive. I've also heard good things about the Gilenya, and it's oral.

Good luck with your decision. Hang in there!
User avatar
Family Elder
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:00 pm
Location: Ohio


Return to Copaxone


  • Related topics
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Contact us | Terms of Service