Angled injections or 90 degrees?

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Copaxone
TammiGF

Angled injections or 90 degrees?

Post by TammiGF »

I have read on here about the importance of removing the needle carefully at 90 degrees to help prevent Copaxone site reactions. I've also read that injecting at an angle (normal practice with other type of sub-cue injections) helps as well.

Are these recommendations for the auto-inject, or for manual injections? Would someone please give me more specific information on this? I realize it's impossible to inject at an angle and remove at 90 degrees, so I recognize these are two separate recommendations. I would like to know more about each, though. Thank you!

DD newly diagnosed and on Copaxone 1 month.
TammiGF

Post by TammiGF »

Anyone out there???? Does anyone on Copaxone still use this forum? I've found a lot of the posts to be at least a year old.
connieb
Family Member

Post by connieb »

Sorry not to have responded earlier Tammi-- I inject manually and was told by SS to go in at an angle, since I don't have that much fat to inject into-- otherwide I'd be going in too deep and injecting into muscle.However, if I go in too shallow (too much of an angle) the medication ends up sitting too close to the surface of the skin and I get more of a reaction. I do remember something about going in at 90 degrees if you you can pinch an inch of fat. I don't use AJ because I found my site reactions to be more managable without it-- I think that with that one you always go in at a 90 degree angle. There you of course adjust the depth on the nose of the thing rather than manipulating the angle so much. Bottom line-- I get site reactions no matter what; it's just a question of the degree. Who knew all those years ago-- I should have gone to nursing school so I can at least inject myself with confidence!
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

Tammi
Just fyi-I do use the auto ject and set it at 6. I do not inject into the backs of my arms. At the number 6 setting I seem to have the least amount of site reactions, although occasionally I still do have some reddness or slight swelling. No rhyme or reason to why it happens. I just found what worked for me through trial and error. I think everyone is different in what works for their body. Wish I could give you a magic solution! Try different ways to see what works best for you. Good luck.
Lori
hummingbird68

Post by hummingbird68 »

I just started Copaxone. I was told to do a 90 degree angle with the autoject. Has anybody had it seep out after injecting? This happened a couple times and then the site bled more than normal. I don't think I did anything wrong technique wise.

Rachel[/img]