i need to vent

A forum to talk about the general challenges of daily life with MS.

i need to vent

Postby sara33 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:22 am

apparently it is only ok to be handicapped if you are old. yesterday i did my grocery shopping and could barely make it back to my van, limping along hanging on the cart more than trying to steer the dang thing. so yes, i am parked in the HC spot, and yes, i have a damn placard. this elderly couple just stops and glares at me watching me try to unload these groceries into the car. i'm so sick of this! i am young, ok. so how do they know what is or isn't wrong with me? it makes me sooo mad!
jeez, even my 83 year old grandmothers placard has a damn expiration date on it for a heart condition. mine says freakin' "lifetime"! i'm so sick of peoples presumptions! usually i have the energy to ask people like this if they have something they need to speak with me about, but yesterday i just didn't have it. it was all too much.
ok, i'm done now. i know some of you if not all, have probably had this happen many times also. thanks for "listening".
sara33
Family Member

Advertisement

Postby carolew » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:16 pm

I did the groceries like that and people looked at me as if I was drunk. Now, I use my cane all the time , outside, so people know that I have a handicap and it is not alcoholism.... Carole
carolew
Family Elder

Postby sara33 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:36 pm

yeah, i used to do that. then for a while i was doing really great, so i didn't. maybe i should just start taking it with again.
sara33
Family Member

Postby Bubba » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:28 pm

Flick them the bird finger next time, that requires little energy :D
Bubba
Family Elder

Postby sara33 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:52 am

lol, funny:) once i actually hurled my cane at someone. they were parked in the hc spot illegally. i thought maybe they needed it.
sara33
Family Member

Postby robbie » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:14 am

Had ms for over 19 years now.
robbie
Family Elder

Postby sara33 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:16 pm

that's funny
sara33
Family Member

Postby skydog » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:05 am

Good one !!! Should be plastered on the back of those high lift 4x4 trucks I see with a disabled driver that parks, jumps out and runs to the store, returns packing a case of beer then leaps back in to a rig that would take me a step latter to get in... Hmmm ? must be in it for the parking
Plant a BIG Garden Live in the Moment
skydog
Family Elder

Postby Bubba » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:33 pm

Robbie..... Thats Great!!! :lol:
Bubba
Family Elder

Postby Wonderfulworld » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:52 pm

Love the sticker Robbie :lol: wish you could print them off, about the size of a chair seat and stick them all over the windscreen of all "offenders" in the disabled parking spaces.

A colleague of mine had a great photocopied cartoon that he used to place under the wipers of all offenders - it said "YOU HAVE MY PARKING SPACE....WOULD YOU LIKE MY DISABILITY TOO?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Copaxone, Cymbalta. EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU daily, Cal/Mag/Zinc, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Postby sara33 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:21 pm

that's a good one
sara33
Family Member

Postby peekaboo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:44 am

Robbie comes thru again :wink:

My experiences that I dread is that the elderly who use the handicap are in better shape than me...I've seen them scurry across to avoid cars... grannies w/ sneakers...
peekaboo
Family Elder

Postby LoveActually » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:21 am

Just discovered this thread so I'm a little late in posting.

Robbie, Love the sticker!

I'm such a smartass, I think if I ever get to the point of needing a handicap space, I'll have little postcards made to give to the people who stare.

They would politely inform people of my condition, include a clever comment in the end, and simply finish with a, Fu@& @ff! 8)
LoveActually
Family Elder

Postby livabird » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:11 am

THAT IS TERRIBLE AND IT IS AWFUL WHEN PEOPLE USE SPOTS THAT AREN'T DISABLED. THEY REALLY DON'T POLICE IT AROUND HERE. I KNEW A WOMAN WHO IS SEVERELY DISABLED SHE COULD NEVER GET A SPOT AND WHEN SHE COMPLAINED THE SUPERMARKET TOLD HER SHE SHOULD SHOP AT A DIFFERENT TIME. GEEPERS. ALSO IN TOWN WE HAVE DISABLED SPOTS BUT ON SUNDAYS THEY ARE FOR EVERYONE. ARE WE ONLY ALLOWED TO BE DISABLED WHEN IT IS CONVENIENT FOR EVERYONELSE.

P.S. I AM NOT SHOUTING I CAN ONLY TYPE IN CAPS

LIVA
livabird
Family Elder

Postby Stabilo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:12 pm

speaking of Venting I just had to comment about my recent experience.....

I had a severe relapse, which mainly consisted of atrocious dizzy spells, that left me staring at the ground just so I wouldn't "lose my lunch." Obviously driving was out of the question so I had to walk my oldest daughter to and from school on days where I couldn't find another way, and my neighbor called the police on me claiming I was drunk and in public wandering around the community with my children. They stopped to talk to me just as I was leaving my daughter's school, and once they were aware of the situation they felt horrible. I broke down into tears right there in front of a few dozen parents because I was soooo frustrated with how quickly people pass judgement! I live in a small town (1200 people approx) and needless to say the old bat has put her house up for sale since then and refuses to speak to me or my hubby - or even my children (they used to go over and play with her dog). I am considering wearing a T-shirt stating I have MS just so people will leave me alone!!
"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Stabilo
Family Member

Next

Return to Daily Life