symptoms with food intake

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet

symptoms with food intake

Postby sbr487 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:44 am

Folks,

Before I post, let me give some background. In my last 16 years with MS, I have seen that during days when I change travel I generally tend to get less symptoms. The moment I settle down and continue with my routine work, I see that symptoms slowly come back. I have always felt the reason could be due to better body exercise and relaxed mind.

I started thinking whether this is all due to lack of food (generally i hardly eat when i travel). Now the moment I am back to routine which generally also equals to having food, the symptoms return back.

I really dont know but this is one thing that I can logically connect to. The other thing I can connect to is good exercise. But I am ruling it out completely since I exercise religiously (thats been an MS) and have not seen such a relief.
sbr487
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby mattalleng » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:25 pm

Food seems to definitely play a role when it comes to MS, certain foods are known to cause inflammation which is believed to be one of the root causes of MS symptoms. I wrote an article on my blog today about the anti-inflammatory diet and how certain foods can cause inflammation and make symptoms worse, here's a link, you might find it interesting:

http://mattsms.blogspot.com/2010/09/ant ... tiple.html
mattalleng
Family Member

Postby KikiT » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:45 pm

I have noticed this also, I feel much better when I do not eat. I can't put my finger on it. Have tried gluten free, no difference.
When I eat pizza, which is rarely, I hurt so badly during the night and next day. Also, any sweets overdone, pain all over during night.
I now try to stick to a low histamine diet, which is anti-inflamatory...but still feel better when I skip a meal totally. I am glad you have noticed this too, can't seem to find a pattern. Thanks , thought I was crazy.
KikiT
Family Member

Postby munchkin » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:37 am

Until I read this post, I never really thought about it. But on holidays when I am busy or not able to eat my regular foods I feel stronger. I had some blood work done and it seems that I have a dairy allergy which I wasn't aware of. On trips or holidays I only use dairy in my coffee, at home I always have a glass of milk, cheese, yogurt and things like that.

So, now to see if eliminating dairy at home will bring some relief. Maybe the stress of everyday life plays a role as well.
munchkin
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:45 pm

i used to suffer badly after too much bread, pizza, it was baaad.

since i fixed my zinc deficiency i am fine.

zinc patients tend to be low in zinc. that in my opinion is why some of the ms diets recommend avoiding gluten and legumes, both of which create an elevated demand for zinc in the body.

also "alcohol, oxalates such as rhubarb and spinach, stress, high calcium (JL edit: eg milk), high sugar intake, copper and low protein intake will all hamper the absorption of zinc."

FYI optimal serum zinc in places where gluten intake is low, averages very close to 18.2 umol/L.

re calcium/dairy, limiting it is good but taking it out altogether is overdoing it IMHO.

i eat 4 spoonfuls of vanilla yoghurt on days i have berries and yoghurt and granola for breakfast. i eat cheese, on the order of 4 triscuits' worth a day.

i never drink milk by the glass, and i rarely if ever consume things like milkshakes or ice cream.

as for sugar, why not treat yourself within reason, but make sure you get some zinc in ya to make up for it?

while my yogurt is sweetened for me, usually the only added sugar i have is in hot drinks. i put maple syrup in tea at home at the moment. at work i sweeten the coffee using the hot chocolate machine :D hehe.

if you supplement zinc, ensure it is properly balanced with copper so that you don't end up throwing your copper zinc balance out of whack.

my zinc supplement is 50mg and it includes 2mg copper.

HTH!
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
info: www.whfoods.com, www.nutritiondata.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Return to Diet