Wahls diet discussion

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet

Re: Wahls diet discussion

Postby lyndacarol » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:50 pm

Thekla wrote:jimmylegs, How do you feel about the nightshades? I've heard rumblings about them on and off for years and lately cholinesterase inhibitors. I really hate the idea of eliminating chili peppers, etc from my diet. I prefer a modified wahl's/paleo with loads of veggies and grassfed meats including organ meats---they are cheaper! Incidentally, wild/game meats might be an option for those in Eastern Europe and homemade sauerkraut for probiotics! Incidentally, I had difficulty with the sheer quantity of food on the wahls diet. In 6 months, I gained weight and didn't fit in my clothes.

Sorry to take this off-topic, Thekla. Have you looked into the possibility of a B12 deficiency? There are many points in this video from the University of Wisconsin, Madison, that I do not agree with; however, this section on taking medication is confirmed in other sources – @11:40 it is said that cholestyramine binds effectively to bile and effectively takes out B12, rendering patients deficient; the drug decreases Intrinsic Factor receptors in ileal mucosa by blocking ileal cell proliferation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM0xCsufqk4

Vitamin B12: New Understanding and Approach to an Old Problem
University of Wisconsin, Madison; Department of Family Medicine physician, Irene Hamrick, MD, discusses Vitamin B-12 deficiency with some tips on diagnosis and treatment.

The following reduce vitamin B12 absorption or availability: metformin, cholestyramine, and omeprazole.

Glucophage (metformin)
competes with calcium necessary for ileal receptor transport,
reverses with calcium intake
Caspary 1977;Bauman 2000; Gilligan 2002

Cholestyramine (@11:40 "binds effectively to bile and effectively takes out B12, rendering patients deficient; decreases IF receptors in ileal mucosa by blocking ileal cell proliferation"
Coronato A, Glass GB 1973Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 142:1344

Colchicine
reduces Intrinsic Factor receptors in ileal mucosa by blocking villous cell proliferation
Webb DI, et al. 1968 NEJM 279:845-850
Stopa EG, et al. 1979 Gastroenterology 76;2:309-14
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Advertisement

Re: Wahls diet discussion

Postby Thekla » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:50 am

Very interesting---I wasn't aware of the B12 connection. I have been supplemented B12 sublingually though. I'll have to dig more. Thanks 8)
Thekla
Family Elder

Previous

Return to Diet