Wahls diet discussion

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet

Re: Wahls diet discussion

Postby lyndacarol » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:50 pm

Thekla wrote:jimmylegs, How do you feel about the nightshades? I've heard rumblings about them on and off for years and lately cholinesterase inhibitors. I really hate the idea of eliminating chili peppers, etc from my diet. I prefer a modified wahl's/paleo with loads of veggies and grassfed meats including organ meats---they are cheaper! Incidentally, wild/game meats might be an option for those in Eastern Europe and homemade sauerkraut for probiotics! Incidentally, I had difficulty with the sheer quantity of food on the wahls diet. In 6 months, I gained weight and didn't fit in my clothes.

Sorry to take this off-topic, Thekla. Have you looked into the possibility of a B12 deficiency? There are many points in this video from the University of Wisconsin, Madison, that I do not agree with; however, this section on taking medication is confirmed in other sources – @11:40 it is said that cholestyramine binds effectively to bile and effectively takes out B12, rendering patients deficient; the drug decreases Intrinsic Factor receptors in ileal mucosa by blocking ileal cell proliferation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM0xCsufqk4

Vitamin B12: New Understanding and Approach to an Old Problem
University of Wisconsin, Madison; Department of Family Medicine physician, Irene Hamrick, MD, discusses Vitamin B-12 deficiency with some tips on diagnosis and treatment.

The following reduce vitamin B12 absorption or availability: metformin, cholestyramine, and omeprazole.

Glucophage (metformin)
competes with calcium necessary for ileal receptor transport,
reverses with calcium intake
Caspary 1977;Bauman 2000; Gilligan 2002

Cholestyramine (@11:40 "binds effectively to bile and effectively takes out B12, rendering patients deficient; decreases IF receptors in ileal mucosa by blocking ileal cell proliferation"
Coronato A, Glass GB 1973Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 142:1344

Colchicine
reduces Intrinsic Factor receptors in ileal mucosa by blocking villous cell proliferation
Webb DI, et al. 1968 NEJM 279:845-850
Stopa EG, et al. 1979 Gastroenterology 76;2:309-14

Back on the topic of Dr. Terry Wahls' protocol…Compliments of Kronk:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24476345

J Altern Complement Med. 2014 May;20(5):347-55. doi: 10.1089/acm.2013.0188. Epub 2014 Jan 29.

A multimodal intervention for patients with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis: feasibility and effect on fatigue.

Bisht B, Darling WG, Grossmann RE, Shivapour ET, Lutgendorf SK, Snetselaar LG, Hall MJ, Zimmerman MB, Wahls TL

University of Iowa College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disease influenced by environmental factors.

OBJECTIVES:
The feasibility of a multimodal intervention and its effect on perceived fatigue in patients with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis were assessed.

DESIGN/SETTING:
This was a single-arm, open-label intervention study in an outpatient setting.

INTERVENTIONS:
A multimodal intervention including a modified paleolithic diet with supplements, stretching, strengthening exercises with electrical stimulation of trunk and lower limb muscles, meditation, and massage was used.

OUTCOME MEASURES:
Adherence to each component of the intervention was calculated using daily logs. Side-effects were assessed from a monthly questionnaire and blood analyses. Fatigue was assessed using the Fatigue Severity Scale (FSS). Data were collected at baseline and months 1, 2, 3, 6, 9, and 12.

RESULTS:
Ten (10) of 13 subjects who were enrolled in a 2-week run-in phase were eligible to continue in the 12-month main study. Of those 10 subjects, 8 completed the study and 6 subjects fully adhered to the study intervention for 12 months. Over a 12-month period, average adherence to diet exceeded 90% of days, and to exercise/muscle stimulation exceeded 75% of days. Nutritional supplements intake varied among and within subjects. Group daily average duration of meditation was 13.3 minutes and of massage was 7.2 minutes. No adverse side-effects were reported. Group average FSS scores decreased from 5.7 at baseline to 3.32 (p=0.0008) at 12 months.

CONCLUSIONS:
In this small, uncontrolled pilot study, there was a significant improvement in fatigue in those who completed the study. Given the small sample size and completer rate, further evaluation of this multimodal therapy is warranted.

PMID: 24476345
Last edited by lyndacarol on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby Thekla » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:50 am

Very interesting---I wasn't aware of the B12 connection. I have been supplemented B12 sublingually though. I'll have to dig more. Thanks 8)
Thekla
Family Elder

Postby ThisIsMA » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:04 am

I thought I'd report my experience with adding some aspects of the Wahls protocol to my own diet. I've been blending up 9 cups of organic fruits and veggies per day as follows in a Vitamix blender most days (I manage to do this something like 5 out of every 7 days).

3 cups of organic kale
2 cups of organic bak choi and/or red cabbage
2 organic carrots
1 organic beet
omega 3 fatty acid fish oil
ginger
1 cup frozen organic pineapple
1 cup frozen organic strawberries or peaches
2 cups of water

Blend on high for 1 minute

I don't precisely measure the ingredients, I just pack things into the blender container in roughly these proportions. The ingredients I list above completely fill the container on a 5200 model Vitamix blender that I bought at Costco. I also bought three tall glass tumblers that have plastic lids at my local food co-op.

The above recipe is enough to fill all three tumblers. I blend up a new batch in the morning, drink one with breakfast and put the other two in the fridge, one to drink with lunch, the other with dinner.

I've been doing this for 3 months now, and I have more energy and less cog fog. For example I notice things that I used to not see: like the fact that my lawn is full of dandelions and my ceiling is full of cobwebs, LOL! And my mood has improved and my baseline anxiety level has markedly decreased.

Fatigue has been a huge limiting factor in my life, and I have less fatigue though I definitely do still have fatigue. I am GAINING WEIGHT on this diet, which for me is a GOOD thing, and has to do with the fact that I am no longer so tired that I don't have the energy to cook or eat.

Also my dry skin has dramatically improved. I used to have dry flaky skin on my lower legs. I've had that my entire life and my mother has it too, so I always assumed it was genetic. But it just went away within a month or so of beginning this dietary change.

I traveled to stay with a friend for a few days on vacation recently who I hadn't seen for a year and she said my level of alertness and my fatigue level was obviously, markedly improved.

There are still a lot of improvements I could make to my diet and I'm trying to add those in a little bit at a time. For example I don't eat enough protein, so I'm just now beginning to add organic eggs, sausage, wild salmon, and chicken.

The improvements I'm having may be due to the fact that I used to eat very few veggies at all, because I was so exhausted all the time that the thought of cooking and washing pots and pans was overwhelming. I definitely am not yet doing the full Wahls protocol. I still eat a little cheese, I eat quite a bit of organic bread in the form of toast with olive oil (instead of butter) and nutritional yeast. I did pretty much cut out soymilk, but I eat beans in soup occasionally. I haven't been doing the bone broth or organ meat.

What got me to take the plunge into blending up veggies, was A) watching Dr. Wahls "Minding your Mitochondria" TED talk, and 2) having a friend show me that to clean her Vitamix blender, all she had to do was refill it with water and a drop of soap and blend it, then rinse it out again. As a chronically exhausted person, that really sold me on that blender! And by the way, I'm not in any way affiliated with that company other than having bought one of their blenders!

I'm only going into this level of detail because if others out there have as much fatigue as I do and feel like its not possible for them to follow the Wahls diet because of how labor intensive it is (even the labor of chewing up all that food!!), blending your veggies is an option to consider.

And a regular blender can't do this. I can put carrots and beets into this thing and it purees them. There may be other brands that can do this too, I just don't know what they are.

Oh, lastly, I would not say that my smoothies taste wonderful, they just taste o.k., which is fine with me since I'm drinking them for health, not for the taste.

M.A.
DX 6-09 RRMS
ThisIsMA
Family Elder

Postby djurliv » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:30 pm

We are using the Wahl's protocol, and I am encouraged. Let me give some background, and then I'll tell you the results we are seeing.

My wife Linda was diagnosed with MS in 1994 at age 45. After an initial dramatic loss of muscular function (loss of sensitivity and leg control on one side) and loss of optic function (pin hole vision) at that time, function gradually returned. By the late 1990s, nearly all of that had been restored. During 2001-2005 we lived in Northern Europe and walked and bicycled nearly everywhere.

After a fall in 2005, MS progression accelerated, and Linda suffered a steady decline of function until 2010. She was treated with veinoplasty for CCSVI symptoms that fall in Albany, NY. There was immediate improvement, but improvement was short lived, perhaps because the veins returned to their former constriction. The good news is that MS "progression" seemed halted, or at least dramatically slowed from that time until now. Today she gets around with a walker and I help with a transport chair for longer distances.

Two additional falls in 2010 and 2013 resulted in substantial ongoing back pain. She takes strong pain medication daily as needed, along with Tramadol to reduce inflammation.

Healing prayer has resulted in improved balance, better function in her left arm and hand, less pain, and for one glorious two-week period a year ago, no pain at all. :-D In our Church environment, we often see people healed....but why some are not, and some not permanently, remains a mystery. But we take no offense at God, and instead rejoice with others who are healed, and wait with faith for more for Linda.

We began the Wahl's protocol in early August. She and I shop, prepare the food, and eat together. We purchased a 5-week Wahl's protocol recipe plan, and have been more than 90% compliant. We recently purchased a second 5-week recipe plan and are starting in on it.

It is not necessary to use these recipe plans to adhere to the Wahl's protocol. We decided to use these plans to train ourselves for this way of eating. The food prepared using the recipes has been quite good -- mostly gourmet quality, in fact. On the downside, our grocery costs have increased, and meal preparation time has increased.

As I wrote at the outset, I am encouraged. Here's why:
1. Linda has "twitched" at night for years. After about three weeks on the protocol, she largely stopped twitching. Stress and non-compliance seems to restart the twitching.
2. She has lost weight, she feels better, and she gets around more easily. The same has been true for me.
3 Her need for the pain medication has declined, and the pain level has become more manageable. That alone is huge to us. My theory is that this diet protocol has diminished the inflammation around the pain loci in her back.
4. The rigidity of her left leg has diminished considerably and is now some days almost completely absent.
5. I have also lost some stubborn pounds, and feel more energetic. I like what we are eating, although I sometimes miss the comfort of carbohydrates.

Wahls writes that months are required for improvement in many people. Based on what we have seen so far, we are willing to follow this way of eating for a much longer term.
djurliv

Previous

Return to Diet