Go ahead and sin-Gluten-Free Quiche recipe

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
OrestesPsych

Go ahead and sin-Gluten-Free Quiche recipe

Post by OrestesPsych »

I got this from the 300+ recipe book I bought for a total of $2.99 from Marilyn, on eBay
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZkurlykurly1QQhtZ-1

GLUTEN-FREE MUSHROOM QUICHE

2 tbsp vegetable oil

1 large onion, diced

2 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms

4 eggs

1/4 cup cornstarch

1/2 cup water

1/8 cup hot water

1 tsp chicken soup mix

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/8 tsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat vegetable oil in skillet. Sauté onions in oil for 4 minutes, or until soft. Add mushrooms to onions and continue to sauté for 5 more minutes. Set aside. Beat eggs in large bowl. Dissolve cornstarch in water, mixing till smooth. Add to eggs. Dissolve chicken soup mix in hot water. Mix well. Add to egg mixture. Add remaining ingredients to liquid mixture. Blend well. Pour mixture into greased pie plate. Bake for 35-45 minutes until nicely browned.

For a Dairy version of this quiche, substitute 1/2 cup milk for the water and add 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese. 1/2 tsp of basil and garlic powder can be substituted for the nutmeg, or you can use other spices that you enjoy. :)

A dear friend of mine was having a brunch at her home, expecting around 50 people. I offered to help with the preparations and asked her what she would like me to prepare. She said that quiche would be nice. At that time I had never prepared a gluten free quiche and thought that it would be quite the challenge to prepare quiche for so many people, especially a gluten free version. I didn't want to disappoint her and so I created the following recipe out of desperation. I made 3 different types of quiches, some with broccoli, some with mushrooms and some with spinach. It turned out to be such a hit that many people asked me for the recipe. I have since then made this quiche recipe countless times and it always goes over well. I've recently started using this same recipe to make mini quiches in disposable foil containers that I freeze and take out for emergency meals.
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

another idea, if you like pie like cheesecake and want a crust then mix coconut and ground almonds with some fat you like - butter, earthbalance whatever- and some sugar mix together until it's a sticky shapable consistency and pat into a pie pan where you'd otherwise use graham crust. bake it until it's golden and pour in your pie filing -cheescake or tofu pudding or whatever.
marie