Has ANYONE reversed their MS BESIDES Dr Wahls?

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet

Re: Has ANYONE reversed their MS BESIDES Dr Wahls?

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:57 am

last study I saw showed pescetarians were the best off in terms of having lowest disease risk. wise to limit gluten and dairy.
good idea to add seafood to a largely vegan routine! especially options that provide zinc. whfoods advises one serving of shellfish per week to maintain adequate zinc status.

Oyster and Clam Chowder
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=recipe&dbid=32
"This dish was created to provide you with a great tasting and easy way to boost your body with an abundance of zinc. Eat this once a week and you will have no worries about getting this important mineral in your diet. "
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Postby pawel96 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:52 am

In general I try to follow the Wahls diet. No dairy, very little gluten. I also try to limit saturated fats, however not rigorously < 15g/d. The effects after 1.5 years are that I am very lean (dropped from 72kg to 62kg). I definitely feel better since avoiding dairy, but not sure about gluten.

Anyway - last night I did sth totally anti-Wahls and anti-Swank. I went to a hamburger bar, ordered 2 nice burgers (w/o cheese though). Effects? I slept like a baby, I am calm now, my balance is better, I feel much stronger, my mind works better.

So my opinion - there is sth in Wahls diet, definitely when it comes to foods you're allergic to. But it limits calories and in the long run that might be not so good.

Other point here - do we really need to heal MRI-wise, i.e. reducing inflammatory lesions to non-existent? Or do we want to regain function? I am starting to think reducing inflammation to nil is not the same as regaining function. Maybe there should be a balance between these two. Are healthy brains not inflamed at all?

Pawel
pawel96
Family Member

Postby stanlesssteel » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:25 am

Any diet that includes food high in saturated fat sis doomed to fail. Wahls is like paleo light. When I ate large quantities of meat my symptoms appear.
stanlesssteel

Postby snowgirl » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:53 pm

For the past 6 months I have tried to put my family on the Wahls diet. My dad is late stage quadriplegic PPMS.
We would start and stop or cheat, or "treat" rather.
For the last 3 weeks we have done it strict, throwing out forbidden foods.
We have it down to a pattern, since due to MS we are broke and burnt out: I buy 2 boxes of spinach each week, wash and freeze into small baggies. These are morning smoothie staples. Seaweed strips are cut up and added to salads. Large salad for lunch with protein.
Not easy, can be chore to make sure we get all the elements each day. But the morning smoothie does make the amount seem less. As does steaming. We do however really enjoy the food. A paleo chicken salad is staple along with flank steak with onions, and sardines for salads.
2 days ago my dad started to move his arms from his shoulders to his elbow, both lifting and rotating and can bring his right leg up with bending his knee. He has not been able to move anything in years. Hope this keeps up/continues.
Is this the diet? We have also started a very light electronic stimulation treatment, but only on the arms and do power plate a few times per week.
Would like to hear what other improvements others have had while on the Wahls.
snowgirl

Postby ElliotB » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:51 pm

The Wahls Diet is a high GOOD FAT diet - grass fed meats, like wild caught fish, are high in good fats (primarily Omega 3) and the ratio of good fat (Omega 3) to bad fat (Omega 6) is correct for good health.

Unlike typical supermarket meat (grain fed), grass fed meat is very, very, very healthy for you.

Although I just read The Wahls Protocol book, I had unknowingly been pretty much following her protocol for a bit over a year (my extensive research lead me to similar conclusions she has come up with). A few months ago, I started following The Real Diet of Man diet and really stepped up the consumption of grass fed meats:

http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/grass- ... ery-simple
(this site is worth exploring)

I feel fantastic - full of energy and my memory is better than any time in my life.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Postby ElliotB » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:55 am

Frankly, I am surprised there is so much opposition to the Wahls Protocol. Here is a woman who was living everyone's worst nightmare, and now she is up and around, against all odds. And yes, some of her 'methods', especially diet, may be contrary to traditional thinking. (So what - at one point in time, everyone thought the world was flat!) A couple of examples: when it comes to food, meat in particular, the Swank Diet is basically totally opposite of the Wahls Diet, In fact, the Swank Diet is 'opposite' in almost every regard. When it comes to exercise, most say rest/conserve your energy while she promotes exercise. She presents a strong case against being a vegetarian. She is not the first to do so. She substantiates every aspect of her protocol, and you don't take her word for it if you don't want to. In fact, you don't have to follow her protocol at all. That is your choice. Nevertheless, she is no longer in a wheelchair and appears to be doing exceptionally well. If you doubt what she proposes, check every aspect out for yourself. FWIW, her research is not new. All of the info in her book is available on the web and in libraries if you just take the time to look for it. She just put it all together for you. I basically found the majority of what she presents myself prior to reading her book.

The bottom line is many people are doing well with her protocol. But many people do well with Dr. Swank's diet also. And the Best Bet diet. And there are many vegetarians doing great too. Go figure!
ElliotB
Family Elder

Postby lyndacarol » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:52 am

snowgirl wrote:For the past 6 months I have tried to put my family on the Wahls diet. My dad is late stage quadriplegic PPMS.
We would start and stop or cheat, or "treat" rather.
For the last 3 weeks we have done it strict, throwing out forbidden foods.
We have it down to a pattern, since due to MS we are broke and burnt out: I buy 2 boxes of spinach each week, wash and freeze into small baggies. These are morning smoothie staples. Seaweed strips are cut up and added to salads. Large salad for lunch with protein.
Not easy, can be chore to make sure we get all the elements each day. But the morning smoothie does make the amount seem less. As does steaming. We do however really enjoy the food. A paleo chicken salad is staple along with flank steak with onions, and sardines for salads.
2 days ago my dad started to move his arms from his shoulders to his elbow, both lifting and rotating and can bring his right leg up with bending his knee. He has not been able to move anything in years. Hope this keeps up/continues.
Is this the diet? We have also started a very light electronic stimulation treatment, but only on the arms and do power plate a few times per week.
Would like to hear what other improvements others have had while on the Wahls.

In addition to the private message that I sent to you, snowgirl, I will make a suggestion publicly here that might be a good idea for everyone: Keep a diary or journal of your dad's symptom changes (I am hopeful that he will continue to improve.) – memory often fails us. We are always interested in the details.

I am curious about the morning smoothies and hope you will share your recipes.

Your dad's experience refutes the idea that our MS symptoms after some time (maybe even years!) are absolutely irreversible. There is always the possibility of improvement.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Postby snowgirl » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:45 pm

Hello Lynda,
Yes a diary is a very good idea.
Since I wrote my post things have gone well. We are still on the regime. My dad really enjoys the food and says he no longer feels hungry. There are some really good paleo blogs and websites that offer recipes that fit in nicely with the Wahl's protocol.
Food is simple and delicious.
His voice is better and his nighttime choking/coughing routing has stopped.
We weren't expecting him to do cartwheels, so even these improvements have increased quality of life.
Arm movements continue each day but my dad needs to be encourage to move, he is so in the rut of not being able to. His colour is excellent. Also quite a bit of belly fat has gone down.
try to add variety but morning always the same:
I fill a blender with spinach or kale, fresh or frozen. I add 1 can coconut milk and a can of water. This is the base everyday. Then I'll add vanilla, avocado, berries, whatever I have on hand. This is breakfast. Sometimes a bit of chia seed. Somedays Cardamon. Or Acai powder. Somedays it's better tasting than others!
snowgirl

Previous

Return to Diet