Stem Cell

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.
AMIT411

Stem Cell

Post by AMIT411 »

has anyone tried stem cell therapy for MS and if you did can you elaborate more on it?
SLOV8213
Family Member

Re: Stem Cell

Post by SLOV8213 »

http://www.ccsviclinic.ca/?p=1313
Stephen Lovatt – My Personal Journey To Health
Apr 03, 2013 No Comments by admin

My name is Stephen Lovatt. I am a 49 year old MS patient who, after 12 years of diagnosis, progressed (I believe) from a relapsing/remitting type of MS to the secondary progressive phase of the disease in 2010. Desperate for relief, or at least a disruption of my rapidly advancing disease, I twice had the […]
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

Hey Amit

you can check out enrolling stem cell trials for MS at www.clinicaltrials.gov; just type in "multiple sclerosis" and "stem cell" into the search bar for instance

One of the more well know pundits is Dr. Richard Burt (Northwestern University, USA) who is involved in stem cell trials for various autoimmune diseases. He is quoted as saying "no inflammation, no response." In other words, he has mostly had success in individuals with signs of active inflammation (clinical relapses, new lesions, gadolinium enhancing lesions)

Here is an article on the subject: http://msj.sagepub.com/content/18/6/772.long

The general theory behind "stem cell therapy" in MS is to use cytotoxic agents which deplete the immune system. These agents are known to be effective in MS and are probably most of the reason for the short term benefits. The idea of using stem cells as rescue therapy rather than a simple autologous bone marrow transplant is to minimize the risk of reintroducing an immune system which is pathological. In other words, the idea is to kill your autoreactive immune system and to reintroduce a benign immune system...at least theoretically. The idea of using stem cells is somewhat sexy as one visualizes magical cells crawling into the brain and spinal cord and regenerating axons and myelin, but there is no evidence that this actually occurs. Again, the main symptomatic benefit is likely due to the cytotoxic agents.

Dr. Burt has used things like cyclophosphamide (known to be effective in highly active MS), alemtuzumab, and anti thymocyte globulin.

needless to say, these drugs have significant side effects.

For instance, cyclophosphamide (cytoxin) can cause hair loss, GI upset, hemorrhagic cystitis, immunosuppression leading to infection, anemia, and infertility. Autoimmune diseases have also been reported in these trials.

Generally, people advocate the use of such treatments for those with highly active relapsing multiple sclerosis unresponsive to standard therapies. This may be a smaller and smaller group of people with tysabri/campath/rituxan being readily used. Of course, you also have to be willing to risk the nasty or even potentially fatal side effects
TeresaL
Family Member

Post by TeresaL »

I had a SCT 5 mos ago. Hasn't helped. Went to StemGenex in CA
a669142

Post by a669142 »

Went to stemgenex in March with no benefit. What a scam.
TeresaL
Family Member

Post by TeresaL »

I went to StemGenex..May 2014 w no improvements either. Get more improvements w IVIG. Had been on IVIG for 8-9 yrs then Cigna denied it for 2014...went downhill then husband went to HR and got it covered again for 2015! If you haven't tried IVIG try it...big pharm doesn't like it because IVIG can't be patented.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

But IVIG is not stem cells? and more-so, its not recommended foir people who have undergone "Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intraveno ... noglobulin
TeresaL
Family Member

Post by TeresaL »

I know IVIG isn't stem cell treatment. I am just posting what has helped me most. I also did CCSVI about 4 yrs ago.i had improvement that lasted for r about 3-4 mos then clotted Had reconstructive surgery in May 2013, had 6 good months then clotted again. So LJV is completely blocked now.
I am seeing more improvement IVIG and daily B1 shots per Klenner protocol