Stem Cell

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.

Stem Cell

Postby AMIT411 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:09 pm

has anyone tried stem cell therapy for MS and if you did can you elaborate more on it?
AMIT411

Advertisement

Re: Stem Cell

Postby SLOV8213 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:18 am

http://www.ccsviclinic.ca/?p=1313
Stephen Lovatt – My Personal Journey To Health
Apr 03, 2013 No Comments by admin

My name is Stephen Lovatt. I am a 49 year old MS patient who, after 12 years of diagnosis, progressed (I believe) from a relapsing/remitting type of MS to the secondary progressive phase of the disease in 2010. Desperate for relief, or at least a disruption of my rapidly advancing disease, I twice had the […]
SLOV8213
Family Member

Postby centenarian100 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:14 pm

Hey Amit

you can check out enrolling stem cell trials for MS at www.clinicaltrials.gov; just type in "multiple sclerosis" and "stem cell" into the search bar for instance

One of the more well know pundits is Dr. Richard Burt (Northwestern University, USA) who is involved in stem cell trials for various autoimmune diseases. He is quoted as saying "no inflammation, no response." In other words, he has mostly had success in individuals with signs of active inflammation (clinical relapses, new lesions, gadolinium enhancing lesions)

Here is an article on the subject: http://msj.sagepub.com/content/18/6/772.long

The general theory behind "stem cell therapy" in MS is to use cytotoxic agents which deplete the immune system. These agents are known to be effective in MS and are probably most of the reason for the short term benefits. The idea of using stem cells as rescue therapy rather than a simple autologous bone marrow transplant is to minimize the risk of reintroducing an immune system which is pathological. In other words, the idea is to kill your autoreactive immune system and to reintroduce a benign immune system...at least theoretically. The idea of using stem cells is somewhat sexy as one visualizes magical cells crawling into the brain and spinal cord and regenerating axons and myelin, but there is no evidence that this actually occurs. Again, the main symptomatic benefit is likely due to the cytotoxic agents.

Dr. Burt has used things like cyclophosphamide (known to be effective in highly active MS), alemtuzumab, and anti thymocyte globulin.

needless to say, these drugs have significant side effects.

For instance, cyclophosphamide (cytoxin) can cause hair loss, GI upset, hemorrhagic cystitis, immunosuppression leading to infection, anemia, and infertility. Autoimmune diseases have also been reported in these trials.

Generally, people advocate the use of such treatments for those with highly active relapsing multiple sclerosis unresponsive to standard therapies. This may be a smaller and smaller group of people with tysabri/campath/rituxan being readily used. Of course, you also have to be willing to risk the nasty or even potentially fatal side effects
centenarian100
Family Elder

Postby TeresaL » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:54 am

I had a SCT 5 mos ago. Hasn't helped. Went to StemGenex in CA
TeresaL

Return to Drug Pipeline