MMP inhibitor phase I trial

A board to discuss future MS therapies in early stage (Phase I or II) trials.
raven
Family Elder

MMP inhibitor phase I trial

Post by raven »

Whilst MS is not specifically mentioned in this release the fact that Serono are involved makes it very likely
19 January 2005 Vernalis Plc: Anti-Inflammatory Compound Partnered with Serono Starts Clinical Trials Vernalis plc (LSE:VER, Nasdaq: VNLS), today announced that its partner Serono (virt-x: SEO and NYSE: SRA) has started a phase I clinical trial of a selective inhibitor of MMP-12 (matrix metalloprotease inhibitor-12). This is the first compound to enter the clinic resulting from the research collaboration between Vernalis and Serono that was established to find potential treatments for inflammatory diseases. Under the terms of the agreement Vernalis will receive an undisclosed milestone payment.

The phase I trial will be performed in healthy volunteers. Its primary objectives are to elucidate the safety, tolerability and pharmacokinetic properties of the compound. Serono will conduct and fund all development activities associated with the programme.

Simon Sturge, chief executive officer of Vernalis said, "We are delighted that our partner Serono has progressed this compound into phase I trials, which endorses Vernalis' scientific expertise and further expands the Company's portfolio of products in the clinic."
Interestingly enough in the 'grey matter' thread we came to the conclusion that targeting the MMPs was a potential treatment stategy.

Maybe we aint so dumb after all... :wink:
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

A little info on a related research grant from the Canadian MS Society...

Voon Wee Yong, PhD
University of Calgary

Matrix metalloproteinases in process extension and myelin formation by oligodendrocytes

$304,703 (April 1/01 - March 31/04)

The formation of the myelin sheath that surrounds nerves of the CNS depends on the production of long, slender membranes that radiate from oligodendrocytes, the myelin-producing cells. Stopping the myelin loss that results in MS could involve ways to enhance the first step of myelin formation -- the extension of membranes from the oligodendrocytes.

Dr. Yong and his team are continuing to study a group of enzymes, called matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs), that they have shown are active in oligodendrocytes. One in particular, MMP-9, may be involved in the process used by oligodendrocytes to extend their membranes. Their studies on adult mouse brain have shown that although MMP-9 is critical for early process extension, it is not solely responsible for it. In fact, they discovered that MMP-12 may be even more important than MMP-9 during the myelination process. In future work, the investigators will continue to probe the role of MMP-9 and MMP-12 in myelination.

The process of membrane extension is pivotal for the normal development and function of nerves. This work may lead to new therapies based on MMPs which would promote remyelination in people with MS.

http://www.mssociety.ca/en/research/pro ... .htm#antel