new and confused

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
gigi

new and confused

Post by gigi »

I was diagnosed with RRMS a few weeks ago. I have some questions I hope someone can help me with. 1) I feel like I have been getting worse over the past 2 months with fatigue and weaknesss, shooting electocuting type pains in foot. How do they know it is RRMS and not a progressive MS? I haven't felt well for months. I can no longer work. I basically sit in in the recliner all day. The doc says I don't have any active lesions.
2) I have had a slight limp on and off, but 2 days ago it was so severe...I felt like it was giving away...knee felt like rubber but ankle/foot felt heavy. I could only walk about 100 feet and would have to stop. If i walked stiffed leg and a lot slower I did better. The next day I was better...back to an occasional minor limp. I was not extremely fatigued when the severe limping started and it lasted all day. I am confused as to how I can do some simple exercises like leg lefts but then have limping? Does this happen to anyone else? 3) I have just started on copaxone. I seem to get chest pressure about 15 minutes after I take the shot. It stays almost all day. I don't have shortness or breath or flushing. I don't feel nervous. Does anybody else get this? Sorry post is so long. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

Hi gigi

Sorry you find yourself here, but welcome, there's lots of info and support.
Being new and confused is par for the course--very normal I think. :)

I suspect this soon after diagnosis it could be difficult to know with certainty if you're RRMS or progressive. Relapses can last a long time before they remit so I wouldn't automatically assume you're progressive just because it sounds like you haven't had much relief yet.

Re: the changing symptoms with your legs and walking, I think that's also par for the course. In my experience, symptoms come and go on an hourly, daily, weekly basis--with time you'll probably become pretty adept at knowing what to avoid and what helps.

I'm on Copaxone and haven't had the chest pressure last all day--I don't think I've had it all actually. I think you probably want to let your neuro know about that.

Hopefully some others will chime in too with their thoughts. Being newly diagnosed can be overwhelming--

Take care--wishing you the best

Sharon
jilthepil
Family Member

Post by jilthepil »

Hi. I was dx four years ago this month. I was scared out of my mind.

The best advice I can give you is to do what you can. Rest when your body tells you to. Eat well. Try to get 8 hours of sleep each night. My remaining advice is to try to "get your mind out of it". I do better when I focus on other things and not "my illness". Sometimes that is a very hard thing to do. There are times it is more on top of me than I am of it.

Talk to your doctor about Copaxone. It is my favorite - but it might not be right for you. The nurses at Shared Solutions are usually very helpful. Give them a call.

Welcome to TIMS. You are among well-informed MS people. :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

wow i just realized we passed my fourth anniversary and i'm so busy i forgot to think about it.

gigi, my focus has always been nutrition so if you want to do some reading on that, follow the links in the signature below.

i hope you have heard about all the new developments with CCSVI. if not please read up on that topic also.

the first few months are definitely scary but everyone here has been there or is a caregiver for someone who has been there, and we're all here for you :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.