Researchers find further evidence linking Epstein-Barr virus

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Re: Researchers find further evidence linking Epstein-Barr v

Post by cheerleader »

Ebv is very common all over the globe. 90 percent of humans carry it. (That's 3 times more than normals with. ccsvi.) In Africa, it can manifest as cancerous tumors. There are genetic factors involved in how ebv evolves. But in most, it remains latent and we never show symptoms. What reactivates the virus in the cns? Hypoxia makes latent ebv lytic. Researchers found active ebv in the autopsied brains of those with stroke and ms but not normals. Why was the virus active? That's the question. Cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

I still think zinc *has* to be a piece of the puzzle given studies like this one, for one example among many..,

quote]3. Clinical Significance of Serum Zinc Levels in Cerebral Ischemia (2010)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3042622/
"Overall, out of the 224 patients analyzed (mean age 67 years), 35.7% patients had low zinc levels (65mcg/dL). Patients with stroke (n = 152) were more likely to have low zinc levels (OR = 2.62, CI 1.92–3.57, P < .003) compared to patients with TIA (n = 72) [transient ischemic attack ie mini-stroke].[/quote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_hypoxia
Hypemic hypoxia. Reduced brain function is caused by inadequate oxygen in the blood despite adequate environmental oxygen. Anemia and carbon monoxide poisoning are common causes of hypemic hypoxia.
Ischemic hypoxia (a.k.a. stagnant hypoxia). Reduced brain oxygen is caused by inadequate blood flow to the brain. Stroke, shock, and heart attacks are common causes of stagnant hypoxia. Ischemic hypoxia can also be created by pressure on the brain. Cerebral edema, brain hemorrhages and hydrocephalus exert pressure on brain tissue and impede their absorption of oxygen.

wonder if there's any research out there on zinc deficiency anemia hypoxia ... found one case report from 2012 involving iron deficiency anemia..
Acute Ischemic Stroke Secondary to Iron Deficiency Anemia: A Case Report
http://www.hindawi.com/crim/nm/2012/487080/
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
gainsbourg
Family Elder

Post by gainsbourg »

Cheerleader asked
What reactivates the virus in the cns? Hypoxia makes latent ebv lytic. Researchers found active ebv in the autopsied brains of those with stroke and ms but not normals. Why was the virus active? That's the question. Cheer
Actually that's missing the point because we now know the virus doen't have to be active, lytic or whatever. The point is that for years we have known that there is a strong association between various forms of herpes, such as EBV, and MS. But since the remarkable Meier study of 2012 it appears that the virus does not have to be active to trigger damage. The point is it is NOT the virus that is attacking nerve tissue, the virus appears to be triggering the immune system into attacking healthy tissue by its mere presence. That is why the study was such a massive breakthrough.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/multiple- ... in-ms.aspx

It looks as if MS is an autoimmune illness after all - triggered by viruses. EBV and other herpes viruses are triggering the autoimmune response. Nerves carry messages and signals of various kinds and I believe stress puts a strain on nerves and makes them more vulnerable. Stress or imbalances in vital substances like zinc or magnesium may be other factors that start up or worsens the herpes/autoimmune problem. Granted, hypoxia could be another factor - but for me, herpes (EBV, VZV etc) is the initial cause of MS.
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

Another angle is being studied in France, England and Switzerland which can’t be overlooked. The role of the MS Retrovirus associated with the Epstein Barr Virus – EBV (Mononucleosis – which I had at 9 years of age being an example.) My rough understanding of these studies is that remnants of the Epstein Barr Virus (among others) imbedded themselves in human genes over millions of years of evolution. If an individual with this genetic inheritance falls ill with an Epstein Barr virus illness, the immune ystem reaction to the virus ends up attacking the inherited DNA –hence the “self”. Unlike current MS drugs designed to modulate or suppress the immune system, the
proposed medication is designed to shut down the MS associated Retrovirus and therefore the auto-immune demyelinating cascade which occurs when the latent Epstein-barr virus periodically re-activates. As I've said, the recent flu left me weakened. Has the latent mononucleosis virus revived and is my immune system reacting against an inherited Human Endogenous Retrovirus (HERV) imbedded in my genes? An idea of interest to be followed. (See Thisisms.com, Drug Pipeline thread, MSRV Retrovirus phase 2, Fred 1208 from French MS site ForSEPs.org, Dec 20, 2012 and updates through May 14, 2013) (See Wheelchair Kamikaze blog May 5, 2013 "Anti HIV drugs to stop MS?")
I bring this up because recently I foolishly allowed the flu to take hold by antidoting with an antibiotic a Homeopathic Remedy (Oscillicoccinum) which was working. It was a
particularly virulent flu which led to lung complications, felling many a strong individual including my husband. I took the remedy Pulsatilla 15 CH which worked (fortunately) but ever since I’ve been dragging along, unable to fully recover. This has happened before where I feel like something is “eating” at me. Do I have an “imbedded” virus which manifests when another virus lays me low? My tongue is “charged”, which is a sign of yeast overgrowth (Candida). (That alone can sicken) I have resumed taking Pulsatilla (now 30CH) and it seems to be working. Probably I should visit a “unicist” (classical) Homeopath to send this latent virus back into hiding. but let’s say this is the Epstein Barr type virus. Is my nervous system being “attacked” without the blood reflux mechanism at work? This implies 2 major issues to address. i know that Homeopathy is controversial, and if one is taking poisonous medications it won’t work. Let’s say the GNbAC1-in medication deals effectively with the MS Retrovirus problem (present in 75% of MS patients?). The Blood Reflux problem likely will remain, especially for those with Skeletal MS. I wonder how this theory would apply to those MS patients with Chlamydia P. who find antibiotic therapy effective?
For now I have to use the tools at hand to take care of myself. And in fact strengthening one's immune system becomes all the more essential in preventing a latent virus from re-activating which in turn will set off the Human Endogenous Retrovirus.
So I must deal with the blood reflux on a daily basis. And not get sick."

Taken from Blog post "CCSVI and the Missing Infectious Link"
MS Cure Enigmas.net