Two distinct relapses, or one extended one?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Apuman
Family Elder

Two distinct relapses, or one extended one?

Post by Apuman »

This is a question I've been wondering about ever since my last relapse(s) back in August-September-October. When I described it to my neuro in October, he defined it as one, but he never really gave me the chance to describe it in full, so I'm not sure how confident I am in his determination.

The course of events was as follows: First week of August I start to feel tingling in my fingertips of my right hand and foot-drop on my right side. Over the next week, these symptomes worsen, and I also develop numbness on my lips and tongue. The second week in August these symptoms start improving, till all of the tingling disappears and the foot drop subsides significantly. The third week, the coordination in both legs worses as well as my right hand. Numbness and tingling appear in both legs.

Over the next several weeks, these symptoms subside, and I feel like I'm starting to recover until late September, when numbness appears in my right arm. Over the next two weeks it spreads back to my hand, and into the left side of my chest and face, and back into my legs. Walking again becomes more difficult, and the coordination in my right hand has again deterriorated. I stay this way for most of October, until the end of the month, when things begin improving.

I was explaining this to my neuro, but he cut me off before I got the chance to relate anything from the second paragraph, acting as if I were wasting his time by giving so much information.

Many of you are more experienced than I am when it comes to handling relapses, so I would like to ask if this sounds more typical of a single relapse, or of two distinct ones. I know that sometimes during a relapse, some symptomes will improve while others will worsen, but the fact that everything was improving before it got worse leads me to think that it was more likely two relapses in close succession.

Any input would be apreciated, thanks.
Karazhan
Family Member

Post by Karazhan »

I'm not exactly one of the experienced ones and I don't know the answer to your question but the more I read, the more I find that there is very little that is typical with this disease. Your neurologist's response, cutting you off and acting as if you're wasting his time....typical.