Gait, walking problem - New

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
JoanG

Gait, walking problem - New

Post by JoanG »

I have had Relapsing / Remitting MS for over 20 years, (diagnosed in 1987) and have managed walking without aids. I have remained active and walk over a mile most days. My neuro doc says that my walking exercise has helped slow the MS progression.

As some background;

I am currently on Copaxone and was a long-time user (13 years) of Betaseron. I had to switch to Copaxone when I found that Betaseron was no longer effective for my symptoms. I stayed off of Betaseron for over a year when I developed Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. I received four weeks of radiation therapy on my left leg, which got rid of the tumors on my leg. There has been some thought in the medical community that my long-term use of the Betaseron may have somehow triggered he lymphoma.

My new symptoms:

However, recently when walking I have frightening moments where my legs will just suddenly lock and I start to fall forward, but have been able to catch myself and restart walking.

Can anyone help me with what may be now developing with my MS or do others have or had similar issues with walking and gait like I have experienced

Thanks
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Hi Joan
your daily walking example is an inspiration.

I haven't had the symptom you describe but a good MS-friend of mine has had it and she has fallen over with it, and sometimes just comes to a stop for a few seconds. She's had MS 15 years, takes no meds, and this symptom disappeared fairly rapidly for her. I hope it disappears quickly for you too. My friend thought it was a relapse because it only happened her on a few occasions.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tecfidera, Cymbalta, Baclofen.
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.