new MS Symptom...r something else entirely?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
codefellow
Family Elder

new MS Symptom...r something else entirely?

Post by codefellow »

This morning my wife who is completely disabled by MS (bedridden, cannot move anything below her neck) woke up freaking out and said her right leg felt like it was bent, even though she knew it was not.

To me, that does not sound like a common MS symptom, but maybe its just a new one I haven't heard of before.

Anyone else out there have/had that one?

Thanks!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

sorry, code, can't say i've had that experience so i can't offer much insight. i am also not that disabled so maybe, with time, someone with greater disability will make it on to comment on their experience. how are things now?
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: new MS Symptom...or something else entirely?

Post by NHE »

Proprioception is the body's awareness of itself. Certain nerve cells sense movement, position and other factors such as muscle tension and provide feedback into the central nervous system. Without proprioception, it would be difficult to do most ordinary things, e.g., walking, holding an egg without crushing it or holding a rock without dropping it, without actually looking at our limbs to know their position and how they were responding to the output signals our brain is sending them. If your wife senses that her leg is bent when it is not, and can't feel it due to numbness, then it could be the case that the proprioceptive inputs are misfiring or that the brain is misinterpreting what it is receiving. Anyways, that's just my hypothesis. You may wish to discuss these problems with a doctor for a better interpretation. Has she ever tried any type of physical therapy such as massage? That might be helpful via stimulating the nerves.

NHE

Return to “General Discussion”