alchohol effects

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Postby Bubba » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:26 am

alairauston wrote:Beer is a really lovely drink and when I drink beer, I feel my self pain free.I don't have any experience with pain in feet while drinking.for me beer is pain removal.

That now my friends is spoken like a true professional!
conclusion: drink more beer? enough that you forget about everything else eh? :D
w/m 44
The problem comes with the decision of weighing the unknown with the unknown.
Bubba
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby Luvsadonut » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:35 pm

Ive always felt a bit stupid when raising this issue as everyone (GPs, Neuros etc) always say 'everyone feels more sluggish when drinking...and if its a problem dont drink...which would make me think, stop patronising me and start answering my question......When I first started to have any symptoms after having a few drinks I would walk back from the pub but I couldnt stop my legs from going into running mode, bizarre I know but every step I took I would burst into a run!! Now when I have a beer my legs seem to get more heavy by the sip, where it gets to the point I cant lift my legs if I drink too much. So annoying!!
Luvsadonut
Family Member

Postby patientx » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:33 pm

Mult Scler. 2010 Jul;16(7):773-85. Epub 2010 May 18.
Modifiable factors influencing relapses and disability in multiple sclerosis.

D'hooghe M, Nagels G, Bissay V, De Keyser J.

National Center For Multiple Sclerosis, Melsbroek, Belgium, Department of Neurophysiology, University Psychiatric Centre Catholic University Leuven campus Kortenberg, Kortenberg, Belgium.

Abstract

A growing body of literature indicates that the natural course of multiple sclerosis can be influenced by a number of factors. Strong evidence suggests that relapses can be triggered by infections, the postpartum period and stressful life events. Vaccinations against influenza, hepatitis B and tetanus appear to be safe. Surgery, general and epidural anaesthesia, and physical trauma are not associated with an increased risk of relapses. Factors that have been associated with a reduced relapse rate are pregnancy, exclusive breastfeeding, sunlight exposure and higher vitamin D levels. A number of medications, including hormonal fertility treatment, seem to be able to trigger relapses. Factors that may worsen progression of disability include stressful life events, radiotherapy to the head, low levels of physical activity and low vitamin D levels. Strong evidence suggests that smoking promotes disease progression, both clinically and on brain magnetic resonance imaging. There is no evidence for an increased progression of disability following childbirth in women with multiple sclerosis. Moderate alcohol intake and exercise might have a neuroprotective effect, but this needs to be confirmed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like you're on to something, Bubba.

Though one of the sponsors of this study was Anheuser-Busch.
patientx
Family Elder

Postby concerned » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:16 pm

I have made an important discovery…that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, produces all the effects of intoxication.

---Oscar Wilde

AND THIS!
concerned

Red wine treats MS

Postby jackD » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:27 pm

Alcohol raises HDL which is dangerously low for most older men and if you get your alcohol from a good Red wine the flavonoids will help lower those natsy MMP-9s and other inflammatory thingies.

jackD

Hint - Quantity consumed has a direct relationship to the effects of intoxication.
jackD
Family Elder

Previous

Return to General Discussion