I got acall today from Copaxone

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Mirry
Family Member

I got acall today from Copaxone

Post by Mirry »

Hi everyone

I got a call this evening from Copaxone, confirming my address etc to send my meds and arrange for a nurse to come out.

I must admit, I felt a wave of panic come over me as I am not ready to take this route yet. I want to wait until all the rest of the tests have been done and I have my blood results at hand also. I feel everyone is moving at a faster pace than I am.

They transferred me through to a nurse who was very nice and very understanding of my concerns. I told her that until I am armed with all the facts I cant make that decision. I have far too many questions to be answered before I start jabbing myself daily, or even taking pills for that matter. She actually told me she thought that was a smart choice. Panic over.

What did shock me the most was I asked her how much Copaxone would cost if I didn't have medical insurance. She replied $3000 a month. I was speechless. Thank heavens I have insurance whichever way I decide to go, but what about those that don't, it's just not right.

Mirry
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i remember being in the same boat but sub in rebif where you are dealing with copaxone. it's not a fun time!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Needled
Family Elder

Post by Needled »

Its really sad when you think about it but Copaxone is actually cheaper on a monthly basis because at least you get 30 shots for $3000. If you take once a week Avonex, you get 4 shots for $3000 since they're all around the same price. It's insane. 8O
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

I think copaxone's patent is coming to end soon. (I remember seeing it somewhere) so will be much cheaper with unbranded versions
joeymia
Family Member

Post by joeymia »

Copaxone really isn't that bad. Don't psych yourself out into thinking that you're injecting yourself with cyanide or something. The shots hurt for like 15 minutes that's it. It has very little side effects and most importantly does not affect your immune system. The worst part it itches like a mosquito bite for a day or two. Not all the time but sometimes.

I'm on my 2nd month now and its and become a routine. I don't even think about it until i get home. Grab my bag with needles etc... take my shot, spray some Benadryl and immediately get on with the rest of my night.

For example last night got to my apartment before my girlfriend. We were going out to dinner so I ran to the apartment changed my clothes. Was about to run back out and thought "oh the shot" ran back to the room dropped my pants and gave myself a shot in the leg. Gave the shot some pressure with a cotton ball sprayed some Benadryl and limped back to elevator and went to dinner.

Make sure to get your blood checked for any deficiency. Most Importantly vitamin D! Post your results on here and I am sure users like jimmylegs will give you some advice.

Stay postive!
RuSmolikova
Family Elder

Post by RuSmolikova »

LR1234 wrote:I think copaxone's patent is coming to end soon. (I remember seeing it somewhere) so will be much cheaper with unbranded versions
I am sorry but we all must wait longer for a cheaper version of Cop, cause Teva tries to block it:
"Any generic of Teva’s blockbuster multiple sclerosis treatment Copaxone would need clinical trials to gain approval, the company says in response to speculation that the FDA might approve a generic Copaxone using the same criteria it applied to generic Lovenox. “In the case of Copaxone and other complex molecules, there are no acceptable … tests either in humans or animals that can be relied upon except for complete clinical tests, which reflect the clinical outcome in multiple sclerosis,” Teva CEO Shlomo Yanai said.
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

To say that copaxone is not that bad, is a relative thing. My husband seemed to be allergic to it, after about 8 months, he had the chest reaction, followed by shivers and then hives more and more often. Maybe it's because he lost so much weight while on it, that it was very hard to find fat to inject into. Anyhow he quit Crabs altogether in 2004, since he was progressing on them anyhow, and he felt much better for stopping and gained weight, which he needed.
I would also like to remind people of the Cochrane report which found copax to be useless long term, as all the current therapies seem to be. You are probably better off on a diet (Best Bet, Swank, Palaeolithic), while continuing to do exercises as long as possible.
Mirry
Family Member

Post by Mirry »

thanks everyone for your comments and sharing your own experiences, it's greatly appreciated.

Mirry

Return to “General Discussion”