What would you all do??

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
JamiLea

Post by JamiLea »

Well, that was definitely rude of her. I tease my husband because he is the one that usually goes out everywhere. I get out but I'm mostly a house wife. I told him that he is the one who brought the cold home lol

I haven't tried those vitamin things yet. All I really do is Vitamin C although I do hear that fish oil helps to keep a healthy immune system so I'm going to start taking it.

I'm sick as a dog today. Why do people say "sick as a dog" anyways? Doesn't make sense haha!

Everyone with MS experiences some different things so that's okay.

I'm just glad to know that you are still fighting. It's so nice to meet you :) :)
stillfighting
Family Elder

Post by stillfighting »

I don't know about the sick as a dog. I say it too. I have heard people say " they are so sick even their hair hurts.

That is a good one for the flu.
Jimmylegs, I should have thought to at least thank you for the sites. I did not mean to offend you.

I am sure I need to do some looking into what I might could take to control some of my symptoms along those lines.

But after trying so much of these things and sinking so much into some of this stuff. I have become a skeptic.
Last winter during the flu season I got nothing not even a cold.
I went out every weekend.
The only thing I used was common sense. A lot of anti bacterial lotion and when I heard the sound of someone coughing I MOVED AWAY ASAP.

I do not have grandkids ( so I am sure that helped) I did not attend any large family functions. That was not a problem for me as I don't have a large family.
So I can't say I felt as if I missed anything and I can say that it gave my body some time to heal from the biggest flare I had ever had.

Thus, leading me into Physical Therapy and how fitting to catch
It is nice to meet you too.
Jimmylegs I have been reading through many of your post and I look forward to using your knowledge in the future .
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

I have seen and known many who have tried a lot vitamin "protocols" through the yrs.
I have noticed we still have ms..
yep it depends on the individual approach and whether the knows that his or her levels are better than 'normal' (many ms indicator values are 'normal') but are in fact 'optimal' (ie matching healthy controls).

not everyone has the same ms, but i'm four years in and no relapses. no changes in symptoms that could not be directly attributed to imbalances of nutrients during my learning curve.

am i in perfect health? nope, i have not been able to repair the permanent damage done to my spinal cord. but as for the rest, fine so far :)

personally i don't do the herbal thing, not yet anyway. it's really interesting, but i think the nutrition is more fundamental.

gotta jet! will respond to later posts ... later!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
stillfighting
Family Elder

Post by stillfighting »

I think herbals are more dangerous and subject to allergic responses.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey there :) i work surrounded by hundreds of kids every day and my co-workers get sick all the time. they are a germy little bunch aren't they! lol
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
gainsbourg
Family Elder

Post by gainsbourg »

In a hospital environment there is always the danger of spreading colds to people who are scheduled to have an operation within a few days - not good.

I've also noticed that neurologists take little notice of how much temperature increase can cause misery to many with MS. Those who are affected by this will know that a cold or flu can be devastating.

gainsbourg
MalcomWagon

Post by MalcomWagon »

Thanks you for that post. I think herbals are more dangerous and subject to allergic responses. I've also noticed that neurologists take little notice of how much temperature increase can cause misery to many with MS.
gainsbourg
Family Elder

Post by gainsbourg »

Hi SF and MW,

It would be a shame to dismiss herbal remedies for MS - after all, so many pharmaceutrical drugs are basically derived from herbs and plants. In fact, the word "drug" is derived from the dutch word "droog" which means "to dry"- which refers to the drying of plants and herbs.

Seeing as I am a great believer that herpes is part of the underlying cause of MS (and MS attacks) I recommend taking blackcurrant and lemon balm - mainly because they are powerful against herpes. Eating raw foods keeps the body alkaline (also thought to prevent herpes attacks) which is why I think the Swank diet works. Plus, drinking blackcurrant helps some people avoid colds.

gainsbourg
stillfighting
Family Elder

Post by stillfighting »

I would love to hear more about your uses for lemon balm. I can get some of it from a friend who loves to grow it.
I have only heard of blackcurrent.

But would like to hear how you take it.
gainsbourg
Family Elder

Post by gainsbourg »

Lemon balm: put about a tablespoon of the leaves in a cup and add boiling water. It's a sedative so take it later in the day or evening. It is also good if you are hyperthyroid or have Hashimoto's Disease, but if you are hypothyroid do not take it unless you are already on thyroid replacement.

Blackcurrants: eat the fresh fruit daily or get it frozen. The oil is also one of the best sources of fatty acids (usually low if you have MS) for maintaining and repairing nerves.

Return to “General Discussion”