Tysabri or liberation surgery?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Dino

Tysabri or liberation surgery?

Post by Dino »

I have secondary progressive ms. Recently got a second opinion at U of M multiple sclerosis center. The options I received were continue taking Beta Seron and continue progressivly getting worse or try Tysabri to stop the progression. Doctor would not acknowledge the possibility of ccsvi as a treatment. I have not found many people (that I have read about) that have spms with good results from tysabri. If the surgery for ccsvi is done and you are put on blood thinners does that mean you cannot try tysabri?
I know I have to do something to stop the progression, just trying to get all the information to make an educated decision.
My regular neurologist would not give an opinion on tysabri, he said he is not against it but not for it (very neutral position)
This is my first post-hopefully I am doing it correctly.
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

Dino, this is a decision only you can make. Tysabri is a mainstream somewhat effective treatment with some risk. CCSVI is still outside the mainstream, has very little risk, and appears to have great promise. I can't see any reason why you can't go for the liberation procedure while on Tysabri, I believe there are several people in this category.
What I would do (realize I'm not a medical person)
1. Make lifestyle changes - like the best bet diet.
2. Go for the liberation procedure.
3. THEN decide if you want to be on Tysabri.
sou
Family Elder

Post by sou »

Isn't Tysabri only approved fror use in RRMS? I think its results on SPMS were quite disappointing.
stillfighting
Family Elder

Post by stillfighting »

Let me throw this in, one problem with mixing mainsteam with non mainstream is there are not many answers.
Tysabri carries an increased risk of infection, so I would not have any kind of procedure while on that I could not be totally honest with my dr's about.

It has yet to be proven that CCSVI is the answer yet.
That it stops progression yet.
That every dr who is doing knows what they are doing yet.
It is not an easy decision to make.
It is made harder when people jump on the wagon with an answer
That appears to be based in a scientific answer IMO.
God's speed in choosing
stillfighting
Family Elder

url for seconday ms

Post by stillfighting »

http://www.everydayhealth.com/multiple- ... ve-ms.aspx

this may be why some with secondary seem to helped while others don't seem to be. I have seen some helped and some not.