wierd question from neurologist (I had to laugh!)

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
cathyb
Family Member

wierd question from neurologist (I had to laugh!)

Post by cathyb »

OK, so I thought I'd share this because it was so bizarre...I had a neuro appointment and during the exam he asked me to spell WORLD backward, which I couldn't do on the spot like that and hemmed and hawed. Until I finally spit out the right answer.

Is this some kind of new test? For goodness sake, what is this testing? I was a nervous wreck during the exam as usual, is this supposed to tell me that now I'm an idiot too? I hadn't had lunch, so is that testing low blood sugar, or something else? It was just so weird, I thought I'd share.

Cathy
--The idiot that can't spell WORLD backward without thinking about it.
Daisy3
Family Elder

Post by Daisy3 »

Hmm,

Doesn't sound like you had a good time whatever his intentions. But who has a good time when seeing neuros?!

P.S. I have just tried to spell it WORLD backwards and am struggling..and I don't have MS!!
Persistent

Post by Persistent »

It is a test for problems with attention. Can be effected not only by inattention secondary to mild cognitive impairment ( whatever that might be from ) but also things like anxiety.
MrSuccess
Family Elder

Post by MrSuccess »

should have said : I V S C C ...... then smiled . :idea:

.rM . sseccuS
Bubba
Family Elder

Post by Bubba »

Persistent wrote:It is a test for problems with attention.
Exactly. My neuro, "Dr. "K" " usually gives me a test like that on my visits. It has to do with attention and memory. In my opinion, that is a thorough doctor. He also gives me strength tests ect....
w/m 44
The problem comes with the decision of weighing the unknown with the unknown.
cathyb
Family Member

Post by cathyb »

Interesting, OK, so yes, he is a thorough neurologist. But I still think it's a weird test. My 18 month old had me up for two hours at 2:00 in the morning the night before, so I was running on very little sleep. Couldn't that account for such a thing? I am just not sure this test is an MS test. But, oh, well. The end result was the same.

And, wow, I sure wish I had said I V S C C. Man, if I hadn't been so tired I would have thought of that! DANG IT! I swear, the world is full of missed opportunities.
Karazhan
Family Member

Re: wierd question from neurologist (I had to laugh!)

Post by Karazhan »

cathyb wrote: Cathy
--The idiot that can't spell WORLD backward without thinking about it.
Hello Cathy, I'm Kara
--The idiot who doesn't know 5 x 13 without pen, paper and/or calculator.

I go to an MS clinic where they have us meet with a psychologist to measure cognitive abilities and look for signs of depression...and yes, I was depressed after I couldn't quickly answer her questions.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Well lack of sleep can account for quick thinking too can't it?

My neuro (or his idiot registrar) used to run a PASAT test http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paced_Audi ... ition_Test on me...I quite liked it because I'm highly competitive and wanted to do well, but he tried running it in a very overheated room with people talking outside - :roll: .
The tests these neuros run on us.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tecfidera, Cymbalta, Baclofen.
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.
erinc14
Family Elder

Post by erinc14 »

it's always world :roll:
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

You're right Erinc, it is :roll:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tecfidera, Cymbalta, Baclofen.
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

Cathyb, your trying to make excuses makes me smile...don't feel like you need to! I also don't have MS like Daisy, and if people ask me things like that on the spot, I sometimes just blank...it's like trying to remember people's names. So embarrassing. (It is true though, that a lack of sleep makes people useless).
marcstck
Family Elder

Post by marcstck »

My neuro likes to give me a list of three or four words at the beginning of an examination, and then asks me to repeat them when the exam is over, about 30 min. later.

My short-term memory has never been good, but now that I know it's coming, I make a special effort to remember the words, repeating them to myself every 5 min. or so until he asks to hear them again…

I guess that's cheating…