New here - does pain come with MS?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Davcos

New here - does pain come with MS?

Post by Davcos »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post as have been putting this off for a long time.

My Dad was diagnosed about 2 years ago, bizzare as it turns out he has had MS for about 30 years! Back then he lost vision in one eye and had what they diagnosed as a trapped nerve, only recently when a knee problem became worse the doctors told him that his medical records showed it being on file all that time, but no one ever told him!

Nowadays the problem is with walking and the right knee and leg in particular, problems lifting the leg etc... but more so pain. I say this because he recently went to a group meeting, and was suprised to find other sufferers with much worse symptoms, but no pain?!

This made us wonder if maybe there is something else causing the pain. The doctors and hospital said there is a slight problem with the knee, but they cant tell what, surgery was mentioned but with a 30% chance of any type of improvement, which we do not feel is worth the risk of general anestetic.

So I guess I would like to say thank you to anyone who has taken the time to read this, and to also ask, do you have a similar problem and how much pain is there? He describes it as feeling like tooth ache in his knee and leg, and it often feeling hot, but to touch like a block of ice.

Finally, is there such a thing as a pain relief without dangerous side affects? maybe diet can help?

Once again many thanks, and if this is in the wrong place please feel free to move.

DC
Bender
Family Elder

Post by Bender »

1) yes it can just cause pain for no good reason.
2) yest there are things to control the pain, I'm personally having very good results with Neurontin, but your dad's MS docs will try what they think is right for it. I'm actually surprised that his doctor isn't already trying to do something to manage the pain.
elyse_peace
Family Elder

Post by elyse_peace »

hi davcos -
welcome. it is great that you are checking things out for your dad. there are others here who have someone close to them with ms.
yes, pain is a part of this nasty package. i also find that neurontin helps with nerve discomfort.
i agree that dad's doc can help.
best to you and dad.
elyse :)
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Pain definitely comes with MS, it was one of my earliest pre-diagnosis symptoms.
I take a lowish dose of Amitriptyline (Elavil) at night for it, works really well. Both Neurontin and Amitriptyline can be sedating but it varies from person to person. For me the benefit of sleeping at night far outweighed being a bit sluggish in the morning.
Hope that helps and hope your Dad can eliminate at least the pain from his MS equation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tecfidera, Cymbalta, Baclofen.
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.