Toe Nail Fungus Tablets - Terbinafine Hydrochloride

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Luvsadonut
Family Elder

Toe Nail Fungus Tablets - Terbinafine Hydrochloride

Post by Luvsadonut »

Hi,
Has anyone used Terbinafine Hydrochloride to eliminate toe nail fungus? I have been prescribed a course as treatment for the fungus but Im a little apprehensive due to the strains it puts on the liver. As well as my MS I had problems with my liver a few years ago.

thanks
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

I have never had toenail fungus, but several months ago I saw an interview on TV with a physician who has invented Dr. Paul's Piggy Paste for that very problem. It is available at Walgreens and other places too – maybe Walmart? As I recall, he has a website, http://www.piggypaste.com

If I had this problem, I think I would try Dr. Paul's remedy first before I tried the stronger, ingested chemical.
emess2
Getting to Know You...

toenail fungus

Post by emess2 »

I have the fungus in both big toenails. Because of past liver problems, I made the decision not to take the drugs.

It has meant regular visits to a podiatrist for several years now because my pedicurist was no longer comfortable cutting these toenails. It has been a long time since I had the ability to cut them myself.

Luckily, my health plan pays for podiatry so I'm actually saving money because I no longer go for pedicures. My podiatrist assures me that there is no health risk in continuing this way.

She has also said that there is no topical treatment that works, but I may give Dr. Paul's paste a try if I find some.
EDSS 8.0 for 4 years
Luvsadonut
Family Elder

Post by Luvsadonut »

Thanks for the info folks, Ive sent a mail to Dr Pauls asking them if they ship to the UK, might aswell give it a shot, especially if you can see improvements in a few months.
MS_HOPE
Family Elder

Post by MS_HOPE »

My daughter had success with Vick's Vapo Rub, but it must completely cover the nails and be used faithfully every day (and night?), for months, until the infected nail grows out. But no worries about liver effects. I don't know if a generic would also work.

My sister-in-law, who used the prescribed pills successfully, said that unfortunately, the fungus came back after a while. Apparently that is not uncommon.

If I had this problem I'd try Dr. Pauls or the VapoRub first, if you can manage one of those.

Good luck!
CCSVI:  Making Sense of MS
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Toe Nail Fungus

Post by NHE »

Luvsadonut
Family Elder

Post by Luvsadonut »

No luck with Piggy Paste as they dont ship to the UK, Ill try the vicks on one big toe and the listerine mix on the other...nothing like hedging your bets!!
Thanks for the info.
MrsGeorge
Family Elder

Post by MrsGeorge »

Tea tree oil can also really help.

I took terbinafine and was fine on it, it cleared me up with no probs but my liver was fine before. My husband has been on it for a few yesrs (his feet were minging) and no side effects.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

What a coincidence! The following information appeared in a newsletter from Dr. Joseph Mercola this week:

"Toenail Fungus
Interestingly, about five years ago I posted a video with the dubious recommendation to use Vicks VapoRub to treat toenail fungus. The response from my readers was amazing—hundreds of people wrote me to confirm it really does work!

My experience tells me that when such a large number of people anecdotally confirm something, it probably has some merit. So, although I can't explain why it works, it certainly seems harmless enough to give it a try. If you've ever had a toenail fungus, you know it can be a vexing problem that can last for years with no obvious solution, so this simple remedy could be a welcome boon for many.

One way to reduce your risk of fungal infections is to cut down on sugar, which feeds the fungi. Spending time in the ocean on a regular basis can also help.

I have also struggled with this problem and never found a prescription or natural approach to work until I started spending my winters in the sub–tropical environments. About 1 ½ years ago I had a recurrence after wearing neoprene "Five Finger" type shoes for six months with no socks.

However when I spent the winter in the subtropics wearing no shoes and having my toenails receive hours of direct sun exposure every day the problem disappeared. The UV rays were more than enough to solve the problem. No Vapo Rub required. This does take 4-6 months though of nearly daily sun exposure to work, in combination with wearing sandals most of the time so there is no moist environment for the fungus to grow."

MS_HOPE had the same suggestion of Vicks VapoRub. It would seem to be a good place to start.
erinc14
Family Elder

Re: Toe Nail Fungus Tablets - Terbinafine Hydrochloride

Post by erinc14 »

my father took something for nail fungus and died from melanoma a few years kater, then i heard it can cause skin problems so i wonder if that triggered it.
Will58

Post by Will58 »

I heard that Terbinafine Hydrochloride indeed has side effects, specifically in the liver, though I'm not sure about this information. I used to have toenail fungus, but I steered clear from using oral medications because just like you I feared that they might affect my liver.

I've used several herbal remedies to address my nail fungal infection. I applied tea tree oil as a topical treatment and I also made foot soaks. I used these herbal remedies along with an otc anti-fungal product and such treatment combination worked for me. You might want to give these natural remedies a shot because I think they are safer to use.
Athina
Getting to Know You...

Hi

Post by Athina »

I have been taking Terbinafine tablets for two weeks now. This is due to fungus in the foot and a bit on the toe nails, too. My doctor told me to take it for one month or so and then we'll see.

Terbinafine seems to have a negative effect on my ms symptoms. For the last week I have felt really fatigued physically. Some other symptoms came up, too. I am still recovering from a relapse in June so of course this might influence my current experience.

Athina
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Athina – Could Will58 be on to something when he mentions possible effects on the liver and negative side effects due to this fungal drug Terbinafine? You observed strong negative effects on your MS symptoms; did your physician check liver function, as is recommended for a patient on this drug?

More and more, I suspect all of the players in metabolism, including the liver and the pancreas, have a role in MS.

Return to “General Discussion”