Giving birth with MS???

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
MrsGeorge
Family Elder

Giving birth with MS???

Post by MrsGeorge »

Hi

Sorry I have been awol for a while, I still mostly like to bury my head in the sand and pretend I don't have MS, despite the chair & crutches!!

I am 28 weeks pregnant and have just been told by the dr that she won't agree to a c-section yet. She wants me to try and give birth naturally first and resort to a section last. A previous Dr had basically ok'd it so I was a bit surprised by this. I'm now trying to decide what is for the best.

The MS affects my legs. They are weak & spasm frequently and give way. I struggle to walk because of this and dragging/dropping foot. The MS also affects my ability to go to the loo and I often struggle to go because I cannot make my muscles respond. I have also developed SPD in pregnancy and have severe pain in my hips and pelvis which will only get worse as the baby gets bigger. I honestly don't know if I can do it. I am not gung-ho for major surgery but would rather have it and keep the baby safe then fail at pushing and have to take a riskier option.

I also have doubts about the amount of experience the midwives have with disabled mums. None of the services I have used so far have been disabled friendly.

Does anyone have experience or advice about having a baby when you have MS? Did the MS affect it? Did you manage a 'natural' birth or did you need a c-section?

I would appreciate all advice as I am trying to decide what to do.

Thanks

George
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Hey there Mrs G - congrats again to you!

I tried to have a natural birth but baby was lying in the wrong position - facing backwards. I was having contractions for over 8 hours and with no progress so I took an epidural at that stage. 5 hours after that still no progress and son went into distress, so I was given an immediate emergency C-section at that stage. I was relieved, to be honest. I was really tired by then and it was disheartening to keep hearing 'no, still no change' after hours of it. I too had SPD during the pregnancy. It's no joke that pain, and it is only recently - 3 years later - that mine has diminished and only after I've started Pilates.

The two things you mention, your weak/spasticity in legs and the bladder, may be less of an issue than you think. After I was given an epidural I had to lie in bed anyway, and they inserted an indwelling catheter, so that was that taken care of.

The physical recovery from a C-section was considerable for me - it's a lot more challenging than I thought and it took me quite a while to feel ok when moving. Because I rely on my core muscles a lot more for balance it hit me hard not to have them for a while.

I think you should do what you feel is best for you and your baby - that's the most important thing. Best of luck. x
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tecfidera, Cymbalta, Baclofen.
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.

Return to “General Discussion”