Any MS'ers have Hypothyroidism - under active thyroid

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
adamt
Family Elder

Any MS'ers have Hypothyroidism - under active thyroid

Post by adamt »

hi,

i have ;learnt i have a slightly HIGH TSH level and a T4 level in range but at the bottom end of the range,

i was told people feel best with a TSH level low in range, e.g. 1, and a T4 in the upper end of the range

So i have been given 50mcg Levothyroxine tablets to boost my T4 Level which should in turn lower my TSH level,

i have MS/CCSVI (ijvs and azygosh ave been ballooned open)

These symptoms i have are caused by my hypothyroidism (i think) :
– Constipation - Loss of libido - Tinnitus (when trying to sleep) - Poor focusing (eyes) - Over sensitive hearing - Head hair loss – Course and brittle hair - Dry/flaky skin

i was wondering if anyone else here with MS / CCSVI has hypothyroidism and treats it with thyroid hormone therapy like levothyroxine?

if so, did you see improvements in your hypothyroid symptoms? which ones and to what extent?

thanks all
adamt
Family Elder

Post by adamt »

anyone?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

heya :)

i don't have hypothyroidism. my thyroid levels like free t3 etc were tested during the diagnostic process and came back all right. not sure what end of the ranges i was in so i might dig out those results and have a look.

zinc nutrition is important for optimal thyroid function.

research shows zinc deficiency is associated with constipation, loss of libido, tinnitus, eyesight, hair loss, and skin issues.

ms patients tend to have zinc levels in the low end of the normal range. healthy controls have average levels in the high end of the normal range (around 18 umol/L).

here's a study comparing thyroid hormones and high and low zinc levels in apparently healthy controls:

Effect of Zinc on Some Biochemical Indices of Metabolism
Riitta Hartoma, E.A. Sotaniemi, J. Määttänen
Abstract
The role of zinc in some metabolic functions in man was investigated in 14 healthy male volunteers with primarily high or low serum zinc. In all the subjects, results of laboratory tests reflecting blood picture, metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and proteins and thyroid function as well as serum calcium and phosphate levels varied within the normal range. Significant differences between the subjects classified by serum zinc were found in α1-globulins. Serum thyroxine [JL edit: thyroxine is T4], effective thyroxine ratio and the immunoglobulins IgA showed a tendency to lower levels in subjects with low serum zinc. Substitution with zinc sulphate resulted in an increase of α1 -globulins, serum thyroxine and effective thyroxine ratio, and a decrease of albumin. Other tests remained unchanged by the therapy. The results suggest that there is a relationship between zinc and some metabolic functions in healthy subjects without symptoms of zinc deficiency.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Hi Adamt
I don't but I am due to see an endocrinologist in May to investigate possible hypothyroidism. My cholesterol has raised up above normal in the last year (despite a diet rich in fish, low-fat dairy, fruit & veg, and walking as much as I can), my hair is thinning, brittle and falling out at the temples especially, and I am frequently abnormally cold and tired (but I'd put that down to MS).

I am hoping I DO have hypothyroidism as it is so easy to rectify and I'd love to get my full hair back again!
Will you let us all know how you get on on your 50mg levo? I would be interested to hear how it changes for you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tecfidera, Cymbalta, Baclofen.
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ww, zinc would do a lot more diverse things for you than levo!! are you currently taking any, and if so how much per day?

if not, a blood test and 50mg/d zinc might be something to try.

one more thing: i wrote this for someone else a couple weeks ago but have copied and pasted here.

http://www.something-fishy.org/dangers/vitamins.php
hey. i googled nutrition deficiency high cholesterol and this link came up. it's for eating disorders but it's still relevant - if you search the page for the term cholesterol there are 5 instances and all of them are talking about specific deficiencies that are linked to high cholesterol including b-complex, chromium, copper, and potassium. try b complex and potassium foods first - you can do really complicated and specific food searches on nutritiondata.com. go to the tools menu and select nutrient search tools, then play around with it...

ps. my boss lost so much hair a couple years back that in the end, she shaved her head. i was going on as usual about supplements for this and that, and when i finally said fertility for zinc she took notice. started taking zinc (and magnesium which eliminates monthly cramping and reduces stress). long (successful) baby story aside, she now also has a full head of hair again :)
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Thanks JL, zinc is the one nutrient I keep failing to remember to get tested for. I take about 38-50mg per day, so I would guess at least that I am fairly ok. I did not have any other nutritional deficiencies when tested after Xmas, but I know they were testing Vit D, B, Calcium, Mag, Iron etc, fairly basic.

I will certainly take the 50mg between now and the endo appt. Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hopefully it's all good then ww :) do you remember what your d3 and mag numbers were like?
jimmylegs
greenmtns
Getting to Know You...

Post by greenmtns »

I am getting checked for hyperthyroid not hypothyroid on Tuesday. I lost 25 lbs since October. I am eating three big meals a day and 2 ensure plus drinks a day to try to keep the weight from dropping with no luck. I also have tinnitus flaky skin and such.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ww remind me if you're taking fish oil?

green, that's no fun. what are your meals like in general? if high in calcium and low in magnesium, that can increase stress levels and send you along a hyper trajectory..

do you have any magnesium deficiency symptoms like heart palpitations, any muscle soreness, spasticity, facial tics, shortness of breath, etc etc the list goes on?

more info http://www.ithyroid.com/magnesium.htm
"The symptoms of magnesium deficiency are identical with many of the symptoms of thyroid disease, especially hyperthyroidism."
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

hopefully it's all good then ww Smile do you remember what your d3 and mag numbers were like?
Yes D3 was 150nmol/L, mag I don't recall but they said it was 'good'. :)
I take 6 EPO/Fish Oil capsules per day.
Also eat oily fish at least once per wk.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

d3 sounds awesome!

normal range for magnesium is 0.70-1.10 mmol/L but in the research there are demonstrated deficits at serum levels under .90 mmol/L.

you might want to make sure you are up between .90 and 1.10!