Cladrabine - Movectro

Mavenclad is an oral treatment for relapsing MS and active secondary progressive MS.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ikulo
Family Elder

Post by ikulo »

hah, I certainly wasn't trying to twist the truth. I was just pointing out what many people don't realize -- that one can have stem cell treatment with, or without, the chemo. It's like the mayo to my veggie burger.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

bromley wrote:Becia,

You asked about Cladribine [please note CCSVI is not safe (couple of deaths) and has not gone through proper trials]. So sticking to your query about Cladribine, below is some information on all five MS oral drugs. Information from a Professor of Neurology - see MS Research Blog website. Hope the info helps.

Ian

I keep getting asked what is the most efficacious oral DMT? The following table is a summary of the headline results of the phase 3 studies for the 5 oral DMTs:

Reduction in Annual Relapse Rate first. Reduction in Disability Progression second.

1. BG12 53% 38%
2. Cladribine 58% 33%
3. Fingolimod 54% 30%
4. Laquinimod 23% 36%
5. Teriflunomide 32% 30%

Please remember that all agents are associated with particular side-effects and other attributes; hence the decision on which one is more appropriate for a particular person will require some careful thought. Individualised Medicine!
Thanks, Ian. This was very helpful, partly because I've been investigating Gilenya (fingolimod) and other meds at my neuro's request. Since I'm always confused by the oft changing names of meds, especially during their experimental phases, I looked the rest of them up in case I'm not the only one. Gilenya (fingolimod) has its own new forum here.

Here's a bit more info for your list, in case others are as brain ravaged as I am. :) It helped me to know the names, because Cladribine kept coming up as an "injection" rather than an oral med when I tried to learn more online.

Please - feel free to correct this info.
1. BG12 53% 38%
(BG-12 (dimethyl fumerate)
(Parent company: Biogen Idec – Oral med)

2. Cladribine 58% 33%
(Oral experimental MS med – Movectro)
(Injection version for leukemia - Brand Names - Leustatin® or Livak in Europe)

3. Fingolimod 54% 30%
(Brand Name - Gilenya® - Available oral MS med from Novartis)

4. Laquinimod 23% 36%
(experimental oral MS med from Active Biotech and Teva)

5. Teriflunomide 32% 30%
(Oral MS med - research sponsored by Sanofi-Aventis )
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Lyon,

You're quite right - someone asked a question about the new oral DMDs and the subject as ever gets hijacked by the CCSVI brigade and Harry "nothing works, pharma companies are corrupt etc etc" Z.

This thread is about oral DMDs - not about CCSVI. No need for HarryZ to post the usual negative comment - post it somewhere else Harry (please don't respond to this post).

For those interested in CCSVI - no need to post.
For Harold Zanin - no need to post.

For those who are interested in DMDs and may have to make a decision on which one to take i.e. not Cheerleader, not Harry Z, the following may be of interest (a bit techy, but a lot of information):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3100222/

Best wishes

Ian
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: BG-12

Post by NHE »

Here's some interesting history on dimethylfumarate. It was, unknown if it still is, used in leather products made in China as an antifungal agent. Being volatile, especially in the presence of body heat, it would leach out of the leather and cause chemical skin burns.

NHE
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

NHE,

Your post is not interesting. What the hell has Chinese leather sofas got to do with oral DMTs for MS!! If you get some sort of kick from licking sofas you should reallly keep it quiet.

Any more whacky posts like this and I'll be having a word with JimmyLegs about removing your moderator badge. Maybe you should reduce you daily Sativex intake?

In future - keep to the topic. You're skating on thin ice.

Ian
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

NHE wrote:Here's some interesting history on dimethylfumarate. It was, unknown if it still is, used in leather products made in China as an antifungal agent. Being volatile, especially in the presence of body heat, it would leach out of the leather and cause chemical skin burns.

This baby was burned red raw by a sofa giving off toxic fumes. As our investigation reveals, there are hundreds of other victims 21st June 2008
<shortened url>

EU ban on dimethylfumarate (DMF) in consumer products such as sofas and shoes - briefing 29 January 2009
http://www.eubusiness.com/topics/consumer/dmf-guide/

NHE
Don't worry, NHE, this is apparently the oral MS version of dimethyl fumarate and not the industrial, antifungal skin version. :)
1. BG12 53% 38%
(BG-12 (dimethyl fumerate)
(Parent company: Biogen Idec – Oral med)
I am kinda excited, though, because just yesterday I received a pair of shoes I had ordered online. Inside was a note that they had been treated with a wonder substance made from bamboo charcoal with anti-fungal properties! (It's true. I am NOT making this up.) Maybe if I wear them without socks it will improve my MS limp!! :)

From the shoe insert info:
Our footwear uses fabric linings and topsocks made from hitech material containing bamboo charcoal......processed to produce yarn.....bamboo charcoal resists bacteria...blah, blah, blah.
Geez...this is not improving my medphobia at all...
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgkarob
Family Elder

Post by jgkarob »

Blimey Ian, you are a brave man...I've been wanting to write this for years.
I don't care about Big Pharma. All I want is to slow down/stop the MS and I really hate it when people who don't have MS tell me that what I'm taking doesn't work. Oh yes it does.
Thanks!
K
xxx
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Hi Bromley,
Thanks for expressing your concerns. Image Regarding relevancy, the dimethyl fumarate used in the couches is the same dimethyl fumarate used in BG-12. It has the same molecular structure.
What makes it interesting is that in one application the molecule causes chemical burns, yet in another it appears to show promise in treating MS. It is also interesting to note that it's been approved to treat psoriasis.

Best wishes, NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

jgkarob wrote:Blimey Ian, you are a brave man...I've been wanting to write this for years.
I don't care about Big Pharma. All I want is to slow down/stop the MS and I really hate it when people who don't have MS tell me that what I'm taking doesn't work. Oh yes it does.
I said nothing concerning the potential efficacy of dimethyl fumarate in my post and I don't believe Bromley addressed that either.

NHE
jgkarob
Family Elder

Post by jgkarob »

Er, I wasn't addressing that post. That's the problem with this forum, you can't reply to a particular response. I have no idea about the drug, but I am very tired of being told by various people, with very strong anti-big pharma views, that what I take doesn't work.
Sorry it got confused with the other reply.
It still makes Ian a brave man though.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

jgkarob wrote:Er, I wasn't addressing that post. That's the problem with this forum, you can't reply to a particular response.
You can always quote the text of the post you're replying to. Just click the quote button.

NHE

Return to “Mavenclad (Cladribine)”