Heat intolerance vs hot flashes?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Buela
Getting to Know You...

Heat intolerance vs hot flashes?

Post by Buela »

A question for anyone who has had hot flashes from menopause (or some other hormonal trigger), and who has also dealt with heat intolerance from MS: What is difference of how they each feel?

I had about one year of occasional hot flashes and one year of frequent and intense hot flashes, and especially in that one bad year, I just couldn't stand to be too warm even if I wasn't actively having what I'd call a hot flash. Then I went 3 years or so with very few and very mild hot flashes.

Then within the past year that I've been having these symptoms that the doc thinks might be MS, I'm back to not being able to stand being too warm, but it feels different.

If you've experienced both hot flashes that were not because of MS, and heat intolerance due to MS, I'd really appreciate hearing about your experiences.
dlynn
Family Elder

Re: Heat intolerance vs hot flashes?

Post by dlynn »

Hi Buela, I'll try to explain my hot flashes due to menopause. They're not really hot,it's more like a "warm" flash, and actually I didn't have any today. I don't get very many, they started maybe 3yrs.ago, then stopped for a couple of years and are now back again. They're not bothersome. Now heat intolerance from ms was a very different story (for me). I could not go outside if it was too warm. My body felt like a ton of bricks, I was very sluggish and heavy feeling. I would lose most of my coordination then I'd have to spend the day resting or sleeping.
I've been able to tolerate heat so much better since my procedure for CCSVI.
I hope this helps,
God bless!!
itaska21
Family Member

Post by itaska21 »

I get over heated to the point of turning red and sweating profusely. But it's not a flash, it lingers all day. When someone touches my skin, they don't feel the heat, they feel cool clammy skin. Anytime I start doing housework,(even a simple task such as folding clothes), I feel it coming on, and stop what I'm doing for a bit. OB-Gyn said its not menopause.
toechi

Post by toechi »

Another factor you might want to consider is your body temperature.

I noticed myself feeling warm ... not like having a fever and not at all like I'd heard women describe their menopause hot flashes. After wasting money on a handful of different model thermometers I finally got one that was accurate and determined that my body temperature is lower than normal. My 'warm' phases were when my metabolism was kicking in raising my body temperature closer to 'normal'.

Just another angle you might want to consider while your trying to get things figured out.