I'm going to be traveling for 4-6 months in Europe and am having a really hard time finding a way to get my Betaseron while I'm traveling. Here is what I've done so far:
- Called Betaplus Program and Bayer directly. Both suggested I have a family member ship the medication
- Called UPS, USPS and FedEx - it is illegal for anyone other than a doctor or pharmacy to ship prescription drugs; customs on the other end presents a problem as well. USPS employee said they have repeatedly seen medication returned.
- Called my pharmacy. They won't ship internationally
- Contacted Multiple Sclerosis International Federation & National MS Society- they suggested I contact Bayer & BetaPlus
- Contacted my doctor, who has been researching an answer for over a week and asked that I still continue to do research on my end too
Has anyone else had this dilemma, and if so, how did you solve it? I can carry a 3 month supply with me, but my husband and I are taking 1 backpack each, and that's it - those Betaseron boxes are big! So I think we'll be limited to 3. We are also not sure we'll come back after 5 months, so having a way to get meds while traveling is important.
By the time I need to restock, I'll have been through Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Czech Repub, Belgium, Morocco & Italy...so I can pick up more anywhere along the way.
Right now, I think these are my options:
- Find a neurologist while in Europe and get a prescription filled from a EU doctor while I'm there
- Bring 6 months worth of meds with me to our first stop (1 month in Spain) and then ship ahead within Europe (not sure on the laws of shipping meds between EU countries)
- Suck it up and carry an extra bag with meds. This may present problems at customs in every country I visit, traveling with so many needles
- Take a Betaseron Vacation! (ha, I wish!)
Any help would be MUCH appreciated. As you can see, I've spent a lot of time trying to figure this out already