back problems?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
shucks
Family Elder

back problems?

Post by shucks »

I have been diagnosed for a year or so now, but in retrospect, I have had symptoms for 5-6yrs. For the last 4 years, a couple times a year, I have these weird back spasms in my t and l spine that hurt like heck. The only lesions i have are in my C and T spine, and none in the brain. Every time these things have happened, the last for a couple months and really cramp my life. I have always gone to the Dr and gotten muscle relaxers, which have never worked. My neuro says she doubts they are related, but the spine Dr says nothing in my spine could be causing it. Any of you folks have any experience with these type things?
"A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." -- Shane

Who is John Galt?
Taurus
Family Elder

Re: back problems?

Post by Taurus »

I also have similar issues before my diagnosis. Had my Lumber MRI for the first time. The report said "At L‎5‎/‎S‎1‎ level‎, ‎mild spinal canal stenosis in the left‎-‎paracentral region with moderate to severe ‎compression and posterolateral displacement of left S‎1‎ transiting nerve root and moderate to severe ‎left and moderate right foraminal stenosis due to mild disc bulge associated with moderate ‎left‎-‎paracentral disc fragment extrusion dissecting caudally and hypertrophy of facet joints. ‎ At L‎4‎/‎L‎5‎ level‎, ‎mild bilateral foraminal stenosis due to mild disc bulge‎, ‎hypertrophy of facet joints and ‎ligamenta flava‎."

My neuro says it has nothing to with MS. Any comments and suggestions how to heal it.

Thanks

Froggie
Family Elder

Post by Froggie »

I've had lower back problems for a long time, but they seem to be worse now. It's likely the Sacro-Iliac Joint that's been aggravated by years of sports. Since my diagnosis, my gait has been altered and I'm much more unsteady/stumbly when I walk, aggravating it further. My neurologist raised a really good point in that MS patients often have back pain because we have to overcompensate for the parts of our bodies that aren't working right. I know I've had difficulty sleeping due to the pain and not being able to get comfortable. Ibuprofen will work sometimes and at night, I've taken Lorazepam just to get me to relax so I can fall asleep. I've also found that stretching, for example, after walking my dog seems to help.

I'm going to try doing yoga again, which can be done even sitting in a chair. Many of the floor poses do not require balancing on hands or feet and can be modified so not to further insult joints or muscles. If you can continue moving and try to keep limber and relaxed, the pain may abate. Keep us posted- hope you feel better!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Hi Taurus,
Taurus wrote:My neuro says it has nothing to with MS. Any comments and suggestions how to heal it.‎
You may wish to post your question on Dr. Flanagan's (aka uprightdoc) thread or PM him directly.

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/chronic-c ... 14005.html

NHE