medical marijuana and ms

Medical Marijuana in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.
reneelucia
Family Member

medical marijuana and ms

Post by reneelucia »

The people at NORML sent me this stuff a while ago. Just though I'd share

Sativex (THC/CBD natural extract) is now legally regulated to treat symptoms of MS in Canada and parts of Europe based on the results of these and other clinical trials. Most impressive are the results of long-term trials indicating that Sativex use can mitigate MS symptoms while also slowing down the progress of the disease. See:

Rog et al. 2005. Randomized, controlled trial of cannabis-based medicine in central pain in multiple sclerosis. Neurology 65: 812-819.
http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/abstract/65/6/812

Wade et al. 2004. Do cannabis-based medicinal extracts have general or specific effects on symptoms in multiple sclerosis? A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study on 160 patients. Multiple Sclerosis 10: 434-441.
http://msj.sagepub.com/content/10/4/434.full.pdf+html

My lit review of the research may be found here:

http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=7121
shaight
Family Elder

Re: medical marijuana and ms

Post by shaight »

thanks for sharing.

someday the US will wake up and realize marijuana is pretty much harmless especially when compared to alcohol.

10 ways the war on drugs is a wild success...
http://www.activistpost.com/2011/12/10- ... ccess.html
elyse_peace
Family Elder

Post by elyse_peace »

Thank you for these links, ReneeLucia.
elyse
reneelucia
Family Member

Post by reneelucia »

This month's edition of High Times magazine is dedicated completely to medical marijuana. There is an interview with Montel Williams and his use of cannabis with ms.
There is interesting research in this edition discussing the different strains for different ailments, the different chemical composition of different plants and how having that knowledge is useful in determining the type of cannabis to use for ms and other illnesses. I live in Oregon. We do not have dispensaries here but for those who live in CA and Co, the dispensaries apparently act like pharmacies to help you choose what is best for you. I'm not crazy about the names they have given the medicine though. I mean, how can you take seriously a medicine for MS that is named "Alaskan Thunderfuck" Really, if they ever want this medicine to be prescribed nationwide, the names will ave to change...cannipaxone anyone?
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

im contemplating between smoking it or making hemp oil
merblair

Post by merblair »

I am new to this forum, so apologize for being verbose.
I am the third sibling to be diagnosed, and older than what I believed was the "normal" age of diagnosis :?: . Of the three of us, I smoked cannibis in my younger days :-D , my brother (progressive) and sister (RR), not at all. The remaining sibling grew his own for many years, but at 60+ with grandkids, doesn't enjoy anymore.

Brownies would be great for weight gain, but don't suppose anything like that is legal in North Carolina :twisted:
reneelucia
Family Member

Post by reneelucia »

My doctors say don't smoke but then a study came out this month that said smoking wouldn't hurt you. A lot of patients use vaporizers or make a tincture to put under the tongue. Some make butter and then cook with it.
There are all kinds of books on the market now and stuff on u-tube to teach people how to do this stuff.
North Carolina? Ummmm sounds difficult.
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

while smoking it wont hurt you, smoking it is the worst way to take it.

I personally think making hemp oil is the best way
shaight
Family Elder

Post by shaight »

reneelucia wrote:I mean, how can you take seriously a medicine for MS that is named "Alaskan Thunderfuck" Really
well, that just made me chuckle. twenty yrs ago in a little ski town that stuff showed up and apparently its still around :-D . i would assume that the first people to grow it get to give it it's name. but yes, they may want to at least give it an acronym! AKTF?