Are these relapses?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Mary
Family Member

Are these relapses?

Post by Mary »

I was diagnosed over a year ago and have been pretty lucky I think. I had a distinct problem that led to diagnosis, double vision that cleared up within about a month and some spotty numbness through my legs that went on for a few months at the same time and again (numbness) when starting LDN a year ago...but that went away pretty quickly.

Since my initial attack I haven't had any symptons that have lasted but I do occasionally have symptons that don't last more than a day or a few hours. For example, last night I had some numbness in my left shin and foot that lasted a couple of hours and last week I had some foot burn (again a few hours). I think I can pinpoint these symptons to times when I have been quite tired - ie. yesterday was my first day back to work since the holidays and I was tired because I had to get up earlier, etc. The foot burn came at the end of a full day of shopping...plus I have charcot-marie-tooth which affects my gait and ability to walk so that may be why my legs/feet hurt...

Are these transient symptons considered a relapse? Or is this just part of the "normal" process of living with this...

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Mary
Family Member

Post by Mary »

Oh yeah, I also get little "blips/twitches", like my nerves are jumping or something. Not all the time and not necessarily realted to fatigue in any way. I'll just feel a little tweak, tweak, tweak on my leg or arm or neck...they're not consistent or constant, and sometimes changing my position can stop them.
remnants
Family Member

Post by remnants »

Hi Aylish,

Did you ask your neurologist about these symptoms? I asked my neurologist about symptoms that would last as long as several days to a week and he said these were not exacerbations or relapses. :roll: I even asked if he was sure - maybe they were less severe relapses - again he told me these are not relapses. However, he didn't offer any further explanation. I will say this, when I had definite relaspses, they were obvious/severe - leaving no doubt.

Prior to my diagnosis, my left arm would go numb for a few hours here and there, often in mid-afternoon. I remember shaking my arm, attempting to get the feeling back (never worked), but the numbness always subsided. This numbness would happen 3 days/week, then 5 days/week, then nothing for several months. Another symptom I overlooked was my right itching insanely - to the point that I absolutely had to take off my shoe to scratch. Again, this was brief and always went away.

Today, looking back on these events with some knowledge of M.S. I am convinced that these were milder exacerbations. I have a cousin who's only symptom prior/leading to his diagnosis was numbness if one foot. Another relative had a few dizzy/light headed spells (only symptom) prior to diagnosis.

I think the differnce here is that I too attributed a reason for these symptoms (arm numbness - Imust be sleeping on my arm; foot itching - must be too hot); whereas they sought medical attention/advice for an answer.

Trust your instincts and talk with neuro or quaified medical professional you trust.

Take Care & Have a Prosperous New Year!

Cindy
LisaBee
Family Elder

Post by LisaBee »

aylish,

I'm curious about the definition of a relapse too. When my neuro told me to call in if I had symptoms, I asked for clarification on that, because I have little symptoms daily. They gave me a definition of severe symptoms, or symptoms lasting nore than 24 hours.

I too get the twitches and jumps, which can can occur anywhere,and they move around. I did call in about those. The neuro was not concerned and said the twitches were not an indication my MS was getting worse. I do worry about them, because they are frequent.

Lisa