Regulated Gene Therapy for Multiple Sclerosis

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Dunmann
Family Elder

Regulated Gene Therapy for Multiple Sclerosis

Post by Dunmann »

Here's an article about a new gene therapy targeted for MS. It sounds very complicated but very interesting. Hopefully we'll see something like this come to fruition in the not too distance future.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/20060209/ ... eb344333_1

Dunmann.
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

I guess I'll add this to the pipeline pre-clinical list...

RheoGene, Inc., announced today that it has granted a commercial license to Ichor Medical Systems for use of its RheoSwitch® Therapeutic System (RTS) in combination with Ichor Medical Systems’ proprietary TriGrid™ Delivery System electroporation technology to develop a gene therapy product for multiple sclerosis.
gwa
Family Elder

Genetic MS

Post by gwa »

Doesn't this therapy indicate a genetic cause for MS? If so, I have not read about such a cause, so this is news to me.

Also, I don't see anything in the article that tells us what this therapy is supposed to do for us.

Please enlighten me.

gwa
raven
Family Elder

Post by raven »

The therapy doesn't indicate a genetic cause for MS, although there is a genetic susceptibility. Genes in the human body control the production of proteins. By causing a gene to overexpress the production of a natural protein can be increased. Ichor medical are looking at causing the body to express higher levels of interferon beta.
Among therapeutic protein programs, Ichor is developing a dramatically improved treatment for multiple sclerosis (MS) patients. The current standard of care for MS is treatment with recombinant interferon beta (rIFN-β) protein wherein patients must be injected multiple times a week and suffer side effects from high interferon levels following treatment. Ichor believes that its TDS / IFN-β therapy will provide several advantages to MS patients, such as once every three months dosing, a more constant level of the protein, thereby reducing side effects, and allow possible combination use with other MS drugs due to the reduced cost of TDS / DNA drug treatment compared to recombinant protein therapies.
If they can bring it to market it should be a step forward.

Robin
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.