MRI Report?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

MRI Report?

Postby djham » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:58 pm

Hello, I am a 39 year old male. I had an MRI done back in May for migraines. My primary Doctor adviced me to see a Neurologist because of some nonspecific spots. Which at the time didn't mean anything to me. Went to the Neurologist and he gave me some medications and in a few days my migraine was gone. Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I started getting some tingling feeling in my feet and hands, toes and fingers. Very intense at times. Also blurred vision. I went back to my regular doctor expecting him to tell me I was a diabetic and it was neuropathy. But my blood sugar was fine. He was very concerned and told me it more than likely had to do with the migraines and that I need to go back to the neurologist. Unfurtunately the town I live in is in short supply so my earliest appointment is Nov 28th. In the past week i have started having some other weird feeling (sensations). Balance off. Feel weak, like I have been working out. Left side of my face feels like I have been in a fight and lost! Pains shooting down my legs. Memory loss. And some other weird things. Anyways since i have to wait, i stated looking online. That was probably not the best idea. I got a copy of my MRI and was wondering if any of you good people good decipher it?

FINDING:
CEREBRUM: There are small foci of abnormal increased FLAIR signal in the subcortical white matter of both cerebral hemispheres. There is no MR evidence of mass, hemorrhage, or acute infarct.

CONCLUSION: Tiny foci of T2 hyperintensity in the subcortical white matter are nonspecific. Differential diagnosis includes microvascular ischemic changes, demyelinating disorders, and dysmyelinating disorders.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
djham

Advertisement

Re: MRI Report?

Postby cheerleader » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:26 pm

Hey djham---
Migraine often shows these kind of non-specific white matter changes. Sorry you've found yourself here! Be careful reading too much stuff on MS online...the mind can do lots of stuff to the body. An MS diagnosis is made after going thru about 100 differential diagnoses, and migraine and ischemic (low oxygen) changes are on the list. That's why your MRI says "non specific"...that's good news. MS lesions are often found in the corpus callosum area of the brain, or in the deep periventricular white matter, or look like Dawson's Fingers, and have an "ovoid" shape, (perpendicular to the long axis of the lateral ventricles.) Or be found on the cervical spine. I learned this because my husband's lesions were in the corpus callosum, and on the spine...indicative of MS. The fact yours are tiny foci is good news, too. The odds are it's probably not MS.

While you're waiting for more specific testing for MS, like another MRI with contrast dye, or a lumbar puncture---take care of yourself. Eat a lower fat diet, high in antioxidants with lots of fruits and veggies. Quit smoking, limit alcohol. Look into a vitamin D supplement, cut out sweets, try to reduce stress, get good sleep, and make sure to exercise. All of these measures will help your general health, and are shown to help oxidative stress--something in MS and all neurodegenerative brain issues. And these measures would help if you have small vessel disease of the brain and cardiovascular issues---much more likely to be your situation.
A lot of work has been done to determine the significance of white matter lesions. The thinking now is that they represent ischemia (lack of blood flow) in the small blood vessels of the brain. Hence they are also at times referred to as ischemic small vessel disease. Hence these lesions are more commonly seen in the MRI of patients who have cerebrovascular risk factors like hypertension, diabetes and high cholesterol as well those that smoke. Their incidence increases as we age (meaning you are more likely to see them on the MRI of someone who is 60 and above rather than someone who is in his 20′s).

http://braindiseases.wordpress.com/2008 ... e-answers/

Here's more info on MRIS for you---
When MRIs are ordered, 50% of people show white matter lesions, and these are almost always vascular in nature.
Consequently, it is not wise to put MS in the differential diagnosis, if the clinician does not suspect the patient of having MS and on the MR incidental WMLs are found.
The odds are against the diagnosis of MS, because vascular WMLs are 50-500 times more likely than MS plaques.
On the other hand if a patient is clinically suspected of having MS and multiple WMLs are found, our major concern is the differential diagnosis MS versus vascular disease and we have to follow the McDonald criteria.

http://www.radiologyassistant.nl/en/4556dea65db62

Hope this info helps. Be well,
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
cheerleader
Family Elder

Postby misticrowder » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:19 am

Hello, I have been experiencing some of the same problems but also one side of my face and tongue going numb and weird vibrating sensations. Im being tested for MS and my MRI showed tiny foci as well. Did you ever get a diagnosis?? Please let me know thanks!
misticrowder

Postby centenarian100 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:32 am

Hey djham.

A few questions:

Can you describe your blurry vision? Is it in one eye or both? Do you have difficulty seeing in a specific area of your visual field (scotoma)? Do you have pain with eye movement? Cover each eye and look at something red-do you note a difference in the intensity of the red color in one eye (red color desaturation)?

Can you describe your other symptoms in greater detail?

Do you happen to have the CDs for your MRI? If you could upload a few of the axial T2 FLAIR images showing the lesions, that might be helpful.

The radiologist hedges in the read, so the text itself isn't very helpful. Often, imaging in MS is non-specific and must be interpreted in the appropriate clinical context. Even well demarcated callosal lesions can occur in other neurological conditions (i.e. Sussac syndrome).

A few radiology jokes for you:

What is the radiologist's favorite plant? The hedge

What is the radiologist's favorite breakfast food? The waffle

Don't stress yourself out too much. Uncertainty can be more psychologically damaging than outright bad news. Best of luck to you. Definitely take cheerleader's advice on general healthy living.

-c
centenarian100
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion