low dose benadryl (Dyphenhedramine)

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
David1951
Getting to Know You...

low dose benadryl (Dyphenhedramine)

Post by David1951 »

Let me start by saying I do not have MS. I have an acquired mitochondrial dysfunction that has many symptoms common with MS.
About 6 months ago I added 5 mg of benadryl every 4 to 6 hours to my treatment regime hoping for cognative improvement. The results were very dramatic and were aparant within days and included far more than cognative improvements.
While investigating the mechanism of my many unexpected improvements I came across the following study from Stanford:

"Drugs for treatment of multiple sclerosis and other autoimmune diseases"

http://www.ctsaip.org/create-pdf.cfm?id=5893

To make a long story short low doses of some antihistimines inhibit apoptosis by inhibiting mitochondrial swelling as described here:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 0261904498

Low dose naltrexone is postulated to work in MS by inhibiting apoptosis of oligodendrocytes as described here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15694688

Low dose benadryl is available over the counter and is cheap! Any one can try this! I would suggest discussing this with your doctor IF you have autoimmune hypothyroisism and are on thyroid replacement therapy where a return to normal function of the thyroid may occur rapidly.

2 ml of the childrens liquid benadryl is 5 mg

If you want to read about my improvements and see all the research that I have found see here:

http://www.spacedoc.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1961

David
BBE
Family Member

Re: low dose benadryl (Dyphenhedramine)

Post by BBE »

CureOrBust, I don't think your links point to the same drug. Cough syrup and antihistamine is a different story.

I am also surprised there hasn't been any trial on antihistamines as MS treatment. One can find questionable treatment with histamins (Prokarin or Procarin) but none for antihistamines against H1 type.
I have following ideas in my mind:
There are four histamine receptors H1, H2, H3, H4 and their blockers. When we speak about antihistamines we think mostly of H1 blockers. In these studies there is some evidence that it could work like it is stated on Wikipedia when looking for Histamine:
Histamine therapy for treatment of multiple sclerosis is currently being studied. The different H receptors have been known to have different effects on the treatment of this disease. The H1 and H4 receptors, in one study, have been shown to be counterproductive in the treatment of MS. The H1 and H4 receptors are thought to decrease permeability in the Blood Brain Barrier, thus increasing infiltration of unwanted cells in the Central Nervous System. This can cause inflammation, and MS symptom worsening. The H2 and H3 receptors are thought to be helpful when treating MS patients. Histamine has been shown to help with T-cell differentiation. This is important because in MS, the immune system attacks its own myelin sheaths on nerve cells (which causes loss of signaling function and eventual nerve degeneration). By helping T cells to differentiate, the T cells will be less likely to attack the body's own cells, and instead attack invaders.[15]

For me it means that using antihistamines for H1 and H4 and supporting histamines H2 and H3 could help. So we may give a try to some.
The first generation like benadryl is not for easy to buy in here, so pheniramine or triprolidine could be easier. On the other hand second generation antihistamines like loratadine or cetirizine do not cross BBB, so that raises a question if it is relevant or not.

Colds, flu and other viral or bacterial infections can cause new relapses. Don't these infections increase H1 histamines in our body?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16388727
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22678907
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20493888

Btw. Prokarin is claimed to be H2 histamine.?
zjac020
Family Elder

Post by zjac020 »

Can anyone confirm how commons the use of low dose benadryl is in MS? What types of MS or MS symptoms benefit most from low dose benadryl?

Thanks,
zjac020
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

I am also surprised there hasn't been any trial on antihistamines as MS treatment. One can find questionable treatment with histamins (Prokarin or Procarin) but none for antihistamines against H1 type.
There was only one double-blind trial done with Prokarin. The results were published by a Journal at an University in Pennsylvania in 2001 (I think) and the conclusion was that Prokarin showed promise for treating the fatigue symptom of MS. (that was the primary end point of the trial) A secondary unplanned end point was the quick increase in the levels of A-Acetylaspartate which apparently is an important component in the brain that can have a positive effect on MS.

Unfortunately, our National MS Society in New York trashed the study before it was even published and even before they read the final draft. (They were given an early draft by a reporter who said he would not allow anyone else to see it prior to the official release by the journal involved.)

Any hope of more trials, which were recommended by the peer review, pretty much got destroyed since EDMS (company that produced Prokarin) did not have the resources for this and any revenue increase from a positive trial got stone walled. As well, the main component of Prokarin, histamine diphosphate) was way beyond any patent protection and there wasn't a drug company around that would touch it.

Interestingly, histamine treatment was done at a MS clinic in Washington State back in the late 40's and early '50s and supposedly about 80% of the patients reported positive results in their MS symptoms. Dr.Hinton Jonez, the doctor who was running this treatment, was at odds with the established MS community at the time and when he suddenly died in 1955 (?) all traces of his work disappeared and got buried. Too bad because who knows what kind of research may have been done on histamine.

And yes, Prokarin added the H2 component to a person's system.
zjac020
Family Elder

Post by zjac020 »

interesting. .i.am currently asymptomatic and wonder it can offer any protective benefits....like sooomany other things, supposedly.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

zjac020 wrote:interesting. .i.am currently asymptomatic and wonder it can offer any protective benefits....like sooomany other things, supposedly.
Last I heard was one could obtain a month's supply of Prokarin for free (must be rxd by a doctor) to see if it helped you in any way. No side effects and the worst thing that could happen would be absolutely nothing!

I would contact www.edmsllc.com and check it out for current information.
DrGeoff
Family Elder

Post by DrGeoff »

Anyone interested in Prokarin should read this thread from the British MS Society forum:
http://www.mssociety.org.uk/forum/every ... nd-fatigue

It does suggest that it has to be taken by skin absorption, and there can be a side effect of a rash at the site.
However, anything that helps SPMS has to be worth investigating.

Geoff
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

DrGeoff wrote:Anyone interested in Prokarin should read this thread from the British MS Society forum:
http://www.mssociety.org.uk/forum/every ... nd-fatigue

It does suggest that it has to be taken by skin absorption, and there can be a side effect of a rash at the site.
However, anything that helps SPMS has to be worth investigating.

Geoff
Found it interesting that one person stated it was expensive at $ 249.00/month when the normal MS drugs (questionable at best) cost $ 1500-2000 a month!

The original Prokarin cream was tricky to work with since the patch had to be totally air tight to avoid the small rash that some people got. And you couldn't get it wet during the day. Now, however, there is a transdermal patch that makes using the medication so much easier.

One comment that some neuros stated when the drug first came out was the caffeine in the cream is what made the patient feel so good. The amount of caffeine in Prokarin would be like sipping on a cup of coffee over 16 hours! So much for that info from the docs who knew little or nothing about the drug. The caffeine in Prokarin is used to control the metabolism of the histamine diphosphate which otherwise has a 1/2 life that is far too fast for any benefit.

But like all MS drugs...Prokarin benefits some users a lot, some a little and others not at all.
zjac020
Family Elder

Post by zjac020 »

Going back to the benadryl...any info on long term usage results?
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

zjac020 wrote:Can anyone confirm how commons the use of low dose benadryl is in MS? What types of MS or MS symptoms benefit most from low dose benadryl?

Thanks,
zjac020
Actually, I don't recall ever hearing of Benadryl being used specifically as a treatment for MS or MS symptoms since I started reading & researching after my diagnosis 11 years ago. Feel free to start Googling and let us know what you find.

You might also do a forum "search" here -- I may have missed it. Good luck!
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
zjac020
Family Elder

Post by zjac020 »

theres definitely information on its use for MS at thr mscured yahoo group, the comments being that.it acts on cell aptosis (spelling) even more effectively than LDN...
zjac020
Family Elder

Post by zjac020 »

Hi,

Any update on this?
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

Clemastine is an anti-histamine drug - currently on phase II clinical trial - that causes remyelination especially if used with Metformin according to a 2014 study.
It's effect is similar with intermittent fasting low cal diet.
raceya

Post by raceya »

I am looking to find David1951, and I ordered children’s Benadryl to start micro dosing. It is literally 1/2 a teaspoon of children’s liquid Benadryl. We shall see.