M.S Studying in Us

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

M.S Studying in Us

Postby SaraT » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:18 pm

I've been diagnosed with M.S since 11 years ago, now i want to study my masters in th u.s, but i have o idea how the expenses of the medicines as avonex are covered. Is there any special program for international students? or is ther any insurance program that would cover a part of expenses for me?Can any one help me? i'd be really greatful .. :smile:
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:06 pm


Re: M.S Studying in Us

Postby NHE » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi Sara,
Welcome to ThisIsMS. As a graduate student, you probably won't be making a great deal of money. When I was in grad school I had a university provided graduate student health insurance plan (GSHIP). This was through Blue Cross. Enrollment in the plan was covered by tuition and fees. If you're supported by a lab on a PI's grant, then this should be covered. I was diagnosed with MS during my second year as a grad student and decided to take Avonex. I ordered it through the school's health center pharmacy and my copay for a one month supply was around $500 if I remember correctly (this was in 2000, prices have gone up since then). Due to my limited income as a grad student, I qualified for Biogen's financial assistance program and just had to buy the first month and then they gave me the rest of the year for free.

I hope that helps. Note that your specific case might be different since you'll be a foreign student. I'm not sure how that will affect things.

User avatar
Volunteer Moderator
Posts: 4744
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:00 pm

Return to General Discussion


  • Related topics
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Contact us | Terms of Service