Jimmylegs: please take a look at my lab results

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Jimmylegs: please take a look at my lab results

Postby mmpetunia » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:47 pm

i would love to hear what you think of my lab results. seems like a little supplementation wouldn't hurt. i am within normal range on the minerals but with lots of wiggle room. thanks for your help!

Dx: 9/8/11 RRMS
OMS diet plus lean poultry
Tecfidera as of 8/21/2014
18+ brain lesions and 6 spinal lesions
EDSS 1.5-2
http://mylaceybrain.wordpress.com
mmpetunia
Family Elder

Advertisement

Re: Jimmylegs: please take a look at my lab results

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:43 pm

heya,
ok well picking out the ones i know the most about, here goes:

b12 could stand to be a bit higher..
vit d3 is actually decent, but yes could be a little higher...
hemoglobin is decent...
uric acid is okay, maybe a smidge to the high side (odd.. links to the high creatinine level?).
your magnesium should be higher.
zinc is deficient by WHO standards. you want to be much much further up the normal range.

targets for each of these are all provided at regimens-f22/topic2489.html#p15460
scroll down to the bloodwork section.
i did a quick bit of work to try and get some useful units conversion info in there. it's a bit untidy but i don't have a lot of time on my hands!

did they say anything about the elevated creatinine?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/creati ... ON=results

"Generally, a high serum creatinine level means that your kidneys aren't working well. Your creatinine level may temporarily increase if you're dehydrated, have a low blood volume, eat a large amount of meat or take certain medications. The dietary supplement creatine can have the same effect."

any dietary reason for zinc deficiency that you can think of? possible renal connection where zinc deficiency is concerned also, given the uric acid and creatinine situation.. i am not sure if zinc supplementation will correct, b/c i would have expected the uric acid levels to be lower than they are... kidney nutrition is one subject i have found tough to study..

ordinarily i would expect supplementing zinc to help elevate b12 and vit d3 BUT with this kidney question in the mix it's hard to say. i don't think zinc supplementation is contraindicated in renal insufficiency. hard to say anything re causality at the moment. probably worth a chat with the doc. it'd be interesting to try a short term course of supplementation (100mg per day for one month), then retest serum zinc, uric acid, and creatinine, to see what happens. plus any other kidney function tests they think might be worthwhile. hard to comment on the eGFR result.. not sure exactly how that gets calculated.

hope that helps! if you have any questions about the targets listed on the regimen post i linked to., just say :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby mmpetunia » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:33 pm

there is a note at the top of my lab results from the doc that states the labs are normal/"not clinically significant." the link you sent from mayo listed dehydration as a possible cause. if i had to guess i would say that dehydration is the likely cause. i am not great at getting enough fluids. i mostly drink green tea all day which of course is a diuretic. i will give a test run to the supplements that you mentioned. i need to find a copy of my old labs, i am pretty sure that these are vastly improved. i believe my diet change is the cause of this :) i thought it was interesting that the c-reactive protien and sed rate were borderline in thier values. i know docs won't consider anything significant until it is well out of range but IMO, something to keep an eye on. thanks for your feedback.
Dx: 9/8/11 RRMS
OMS diet plus lean poultry
Tecfidera as of 8/21/2014
18+ brain lesions and 6 spinal lesions
EDSS 1.5-2
http://mylaceybrain.wordpress.com
mmpetunia
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:38 pm

q: did you check out the specific targets for each of those nutrients? also, on the same link that provides targets, there is useful information re supplementary forms of nutrients. also at that link it explains what i think about test results that are described as 'normal'. that should clarify why i have indicated levels could generally stand to be higher when in fact they appear to be in range.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:50 am

here is a link to the post i am referring to above..

regimens-f22/topic2489.html
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby lyndacarol » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:30 pm

In my reading today, I came across the following information which may be of interest to you, Meagan:

From Clean by Dr. Alejandro Junger, on page 190:

Most doctors order tests for the thyroid hormones TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) and T4 (thyroxine), but free T3 is the active thyroid hormone that needs to be checked. When T4 is converted to T3 and then to free T3 and thus activated, our body needs certain vitamins and minerals to do it. Supplementing with these boosts thyroid activity and therefore metabolism and is often enough to correct mild clinical presentations of low thyroid activity.

Since your test results list only TSH and T4 (thyroxine), you may wish to discuss with your doctor his opinion of the importance of checking free T3.
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Postby lyndacarol » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:26 pm

Maybe it would be good also to test for Reverse T3, according to Haylie Pomroy, a nutritionist who appeared on The Dr. Oz Show:

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/overcom ... lism-slump
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion