when to take steroids

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
littlefruitbat

when to take steroids

Post by littlefruitbat »

I am wondering where I can find out how to know when it is necessary to take steroids.
I am in the beginnings of a mild attack-- some of my former symptoms are revisiting along with the new symptom of constant burning and cold sensations in my face and neck. These symptoms are uncomfortable but not debilitating.

If I call my neurologist, he will tell me to go get IV steroids. I'm not sure if I agree with this.

I am wondering what other people do with attacks that are mild in that they don't affect motor abilities.

I am 2 years into my diagnosis and take Copaxone shots daily.
MarkLavelle
Family Elder

Re: when to take steroids

Post by MarkLavelle »

I don't intend to ever do IV steroids for anything less than debilitating.

RRMS dx 3/3/11; Copaxone since 12/1/11
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: when to take steroids

Post by lyndacarol »

MarkLavelle wrote:I don't intend to ever do IV steroids for anything less than debilitating.
My plan of action is the same as Mark's. Corticosteroids raise the blood sugar level and, consequently, raise the insulin level too.

High doses of steroids or long-term use of steroids have been linked to the development of diabetes.
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"

Return to “General Discussion”