High protein diet and Uric acid - just a shot in the dark?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Re: High protein diet and Uric acid - just a shot in the dar

Postby CureOrBust » Sun May 12, 2013 4:49 pm

jimmylegs wrote:heya, may I ask your zinc level? via pm if you don't care to share out here.

other nutrient deficiencies that can result in low uric acid include ferritin and molybdenum.
any studies I can find that attempt to link molybdenum and ms are looking at it as a toxicity factor not deficiency.

You can ask, I just wont have them on me, sorry. But I never remember having them show up as a warning flag; even before I had the correct diagnosis of MS. I also have a long history of taking very broad range multi-vits, and they all would of had Zinc in them.

I have also tried adding zinc of recent with all your posts, and notice no change (or negative effects), even when I have tried high doses.
Family Elder

Postby lovebug » Sun May 12, 2013 7:25 pm

My drs. idea was for me to take Colchicine and Methacine and than Uloric to keep things under control. I have to admit that I was not very smart about keeping the Gout in check for myself. I will be the first to admit I was dead wrong on that one. Diet should have been better controlled. But my Gout pain came and went so much that I would forget I even had the problem for months at a time. My family dr. at the time would not let me have the Gout test since he considered it to be the `most useless test ` there is to test for Uric acid levels. My current family dr. just sent me for the test and my levels are all within the normal range apparently. But I want to get those numbers for myself since I have learned something from `JIMMYLEGS` and that is that the lab results may not always show normal ranges for MS patients.
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Sun May 12, 2013 7:53 pm

cure, most often you won't get a red flag on a zinc result b/c the normal range is so useless. and so are most multis re zinc content. if it were anyone else reporting taking zinc and not noticing a difference, i'd ask them to get some monitoring data and find out whether the levels had gotten up to 18umol/L nicely. not to mention what else they may have measured and how the interactions looked to be working (or not). adaptive management, yay :)

no kidding lovebug!! i recall before I understood how ridiculous normal ranges are, that my first Ua test came back 194 and the 'normal' range was 140-360. looks so reassuring right? HA! meanwhile 194 is the exact ms average. as distinct from 290-300 the healthy average
Volunteer Moderator

Return to General Discussion