Redcord Physical Therapy

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Redcord Physical Therapy

Postby pushingForward » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with this? It is touted to be a Norwegian system of ropes, slings and loops
that delivers a unique neuromuscular workout

I have been experiencing increased fatigue and issues walking over the past several months and was introduced to RedCord by my therapist (who also has MS). I had my first session with it last week, and it seems like it may help. I was definitely sore in a different way - it felt as if my nerves got a bit of a workout, not just my muscles (hard to explain). I'll try to remember to update this thread with my experience, but thought some may be interested.

Here are a few links:

Redcord website
http://www.redcord.com/ArticleFull_2011 ... &amid=8994

An article summarizing potential benefits
http://www.redcord.com/Pilates_Style__M ... e.pdf.file
pushingForward
Getting to Know You...

Re: Redcord Physical Therapy

Postby pushingForward » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Not sure if there is any interest, but I'll use this thread to occasionally track my activity/progress. I am still doing red cord (combined with Pilates) and seeing steady improvement - mostly related to my balance and gait issues. I try to do the therapy once a week and also strive for three additional days of some sort of exercise - either stationary bike, yoga, or leg squats with calf raises (100, with no weight, in sets of 10 to 15). I do feel the red cord exercises provide the most benefit with relatively low activity.

Still having fatigue issues, especially after a few days of high stress, but even that seems like it may be getting better.
pushingForward
Getting to Know You...

Re: Redcord Physical Therapy

Postby pushingForward » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:56 am

Haven't posted on this in a while, so I thought I would give a quick update. I am continuing with redcord exercises and my nuero recently said that he is noticing an improvement with my gait. Because this improvement is gradual, I had not noticed it. He said that I used to kick out my right foot (to the right) when I walked - probably because I didn't trust my balance. He is not seeing me do this now. A subtle improvement, but we'll take what we can get!

I purchased a unit for my home - a little pricey at $300, but now I can exercise on my own schedule. I do feel that the exercises give me good "bang for the buck" and require less exertion than typical exercise, which helps deal with my fatigue issues. I have a trip planned for this summer and am hoping to continue this improvement so that I can travel with minimal issues. It's amazing how much I used to take for granted - just the thought of getting from my car, through security, to the airport terminal creates anxiety in me!
pushingForward
Getting to Know You...

Return to General Discussion