MRI w/out contrast - Can that detect MS?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: MRI w/out contrast - Can that detect MS?

Post by lyndacarol »

Love716 wrote:I also have been diagnosed with tmj , along with fibromyalgia, but I truely believe this isn't part of my fibromyalgia! I was curious if you ever were properly diagnosed, or if anything has helped? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I go for a MRI t-spine without contrast today, ( they wouldn't do the c-spine at the same time ) :( I begged them to! I wonder if it ms as well , as a lot of my symptoms of fibro are almost exact!
Welcome to ThisIsMS, Love716.

If you have not already had a vitamin D test, ask your GP or neurologist to order the "25-hydroxy D" blood test. Request your own copy of the actual test result number. Not all your symptoms have to have the same cause.

Misdiagnosed Vitamin D Deficiency (9 min.)
with James E. Dowd, MD, FACR, ABIHM:

Interviewer: Because of what you said where a lot of doctors still aren't seeing this as a need to get tested for, vitamin D deficiency is probably still misdiagnosed as a number of other things… Is that correct?
Dowd: Yes, it probably is overlooked in a number of different diseases. Chronic pain, something that's rising significantly in the United States right now. There was a study that was done looking at chronic pain and they found that patients who had low vitamin D levels, below normal, were using twice as much pain medication as the patients in the pain clinic who had normal vitamin D levels. So there's a correlation there with how much pain you experience among patients with chronic pain.

@0:55 Another example of a disorder that is sometimes misdiagnosed and is vitamin D deficient is fibromyalgia, which is one of these chronic pain disorders….
@1:25 I'm not saying that everybody with fibromyalgia has vitamin D deficiency, but probably 70% do because 70% of the population is deficient
@1:43 There are occasional patients with fibromyalgia where that is the primary driver of their pain and fatigue and misery; and when you correct that they get dramatically better.…

Interviewer: Could a person be deficient and not really know it? And is there any harm in that?
Dowd: In fact, most patients who have vitamin D deficiency don't know it – either don't know it because they don't know what symptoms are associated with deficiency, or they don't know it because they just feel fine and they've never measured… Symptoms unfortunately are often a fairly late sign in any disease process or deficiency or imbalance. Just because you don't have any symptoms doesn't mean that you're not at risk.

Return to “General Discussion”