Vitamin D and Insulin Resistance...

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
zjac020
Family Elder

Vitamin D and Insulin Resistance...

Post by zjac020 »

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Vitamin D and Insulin Resistance...

Post by NHE »

In male adolescents, every 10 ng/ml decrease in 25(OH)D level was associated with a 0.25 unit increase in HOMA-IR1 (p = 0.003) after adjusting for age and BMI. Compared to those in the highest quartile, male adolescents in the lowest 25(OH)D quartile were at significantly higher risk for insulin resistance: unadjusted odds ratio 4.06 (95% CI, 1.26 to 13.07); age and BMI adjusted odds ratio 3.59 (95% CI, 1.03 to 12.57). However, 25(OH)D level, either in continuous or categorical measure, was not significantly associated with insulin resistance among female adolescents.

1. Insulin resistance was estimated by homeostasis model assessment (HOMA-IR). Increased insulin resistance was operationally defined as a HOMA-IR value higher than the sex-specific 75th percentile.
It's interesting that the inverse relationship between vitamin D3 and insulin was only found in males.
Leonard
Family Elder

Re: Vitamin D and Insulin Resistance...

Post by Leonard »

I am developing an insulin resistance, I am sure, it is in the family, there is too much I recognise...
And I can not handle high vit D levels, supplementation does no good for me, my regulatory system regulated the vit D down at some point despite summer and sun.
I am also convinced that the regulatory loop is much more advanced than one might think. And that besides the path from inactive to active, there is a path from active to inactive.

the results of this Korean study seem to hint in the same direction..
underlying may be all sort of things within the huge complexity of our microcosm.
where our current understanding, our current models, our current concepts are far from complete.