Battling Extreme Fatigue - What Works for You?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Battling Extreme Fatigue - What Works for You?

Post by jimmylegs »

sounds good :) if it proves too challenging to hit 600mg/d with food, do consider helping yourself out with a very manageably sized mag glycinate pill - kirkland is the smallest one i can think of. 100mg of elemental mag from 581mg of mag glycinate. http://kirkmanlabs.com/ProductKirkman/1 ... llergenic/
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

After I elevated the head of my bed, which might help blood flow, I felt more refreshed when I'd wake up. There are bed risers for sale on Amazon but you only need 2 for the head of the bed, not the extra 2 for the foot of the bed.

Other than that, Provigil helped, CCSVI helped, Amantadine did not help, exercise both helped and hurt.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Provigil/Alertec works better on me too. I use both. This time of year is flu season, and since amantadine I have had few colds and no flu. But then I get flu shots too. It's a pretty good antiviral. They use it in nursing homes when there is a flu epidemic.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
bananana
Family Member

Post by bananana »

Hi guys, just wanted to post a little update for you. So I gave the natural approach a try. This has always been my preference, to try to fix the problem naturally before I have to resort to drugs and chemicals. There results are very unscientific, of course. This is highly subjective and I didn't really try to control anything. So here goes..

I decided to try eating magnesium rich foods and taking epsom salt baths. A few nights ago I made a very spinachy dish for dinner. I think I put about a pound in there (raw spinach, cooked down) and ate it all. Interestingly enough, I felt really good the next day. I was full of energy for the first time in I-can't-even-tell-you how long. I was able to get so much done. I didn't even need caffeine! For the next few days I ate pumpkin seeds right before I took my daily dose of Vit D. That didnt seem to do very much, honestly, although I discovered that I really like the taste of warm toasted pumpkin seeds. :mrgreen: Then the other night I took an epsom salt bath. Again I woke up feeling good, tho not as good as the day after the spinach. I had a cup of coffee to give myself an extra boost and increase my productivity. It got me way more wired than I was expecting and I had another highly productive day. Lately one cup of coffee hasn't been having the same effect as it used to because of the fatigue.

So overall I'm encouraged. I'm definitely going to be eating more spinach and continuing with the epsom salt baths. Lets see if this trend continues. But again, these results are not scientific in any way, so take with a grain of salt. it could all just be the placebo effect at work here for all we know ;)

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'll have more updates for you soon

-b
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

great to hear!! :)

to clarify, eating pumpkin seeds w your vit d3 is a timing/buffer thing. you take some mag w the d3, and some away. so the d3 sucks up the mag from the pumpkin seeds, and that way there's more mag left when you eat the spinach or take the epsom salt bath, for the 100s of other jobs mag has to do in your body. such as give you energy :) i suspect if you drop the pumpkin seed input, that the spinach/epsom may start to seem less effective. if you happened to take the vit d3 at the same time of day as either the spinach or epsom inputs, you could expect the dietary approach to seem even less effective.

again, glad you've noticed an improvement :) and, as an aside, the iron in the spinach won't be doing your energy levels any harm either.

general fyi, to maximize the nutrient density of the spinach, but limit the oxalic acid intake when you consume it in high volumes, it's a good idea to boil the spinach for just 1 min, and drain. then add it to whichever dish you are preparing. that way the acid goes out with the water, but not too many nutrients are lost. i believe there are a couple of decent spinach recipes kicking around on the site - a spanakopita, and a spinach soup too, if you are interested :D
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Ella

Post by Ella »

Hi. I noticed your post was relatively recent so I thought I'd respond.

I wouldn't recommend weaning off of vit D. There has been alot of research on the relationship between vit D and MS and from what I understand the vitamin D receptors malfunction in MS patients. That's why such a high daily dose is necessary. Also the best form of Vit D is D3. But you have to make sure that your calcium, magnesium and Vit K2 levels are adequate for the D to be absorbed

Lack of vit D would bring muscle exhaustion. For fatigue, i would recommend CoQ10 and vit B1
If you have MS you should also be on B12 and B6

Best wishes
Ella