MS and computer screens?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
pawel96
Family Member

MS and computer screens?

Post by pawel96 »

Hi,

so this might be a weird idea but do you think computer screens can affect/worsen MS? PwMS are light sensitive, the skull is to some degree penetrable to IR and after all the screen is a 40-60-80 W light bulb? And we stare into these screens for hours. I wonder if this can drive up inflammation in the brain.
Maybe PwMS should configure some color schemes that generate less light?

P.
vesta
Family Elder

Re: MS and computer screens?

Post by vesta »

Greetings:
I haven't thought much about the light, but staring at the screen with the head tilted back certainly impedes fluid circulation (blood, cerebrospinal fluid) to and from the head which impacts MS (CCSVI and CCVBP ideas). Same for upper back tension.
Vesta
DrGeoff
Family Elder

Post by DrGeoff »

Not likely to be the light.
What you see is a mixture of emitted and reflected light, and you as a user can control both the ambient lighting and (to some extent) the emitted light.
What you cannot control is the programmed light (luminance to be really precise), because that is usually handled by the programmer.
Change the ambient light and you change the perceived contrast - and the average user will then fiddle with the brightness and contrast controls.

Radiation was once considered to be a problem in the days of CRT monitors, but is markedly less with the now common flat panel monitors.

Vesta's point is far more pertinent.
It is generally considered that the top of the monitor should be higher than the user's eyes, but it is just not that simple.
Anyone who follows this advice, and who wears bi-focal glasses, will do exactly what Vesta has described and tilt their head back (and we all know what can follow from that (you left out the strain on the neck muscles, Vesta).
The problem is probably far worse since the days of the "Tower" PC under the desk. Go back a decade and the PC was a box sitting on the desk with the monitor on top of that. The user adjusted their chair so that they looked straight at the center of the screen (and got their wrists in a better position for the keyboard as well).
Then you have to think of the increased screen resolution, which makes the text look smaller, so users sit nearer to the screen, and this alters their nexk angle, and so it gets worse.

Forget the light, and think about your neck.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

This free program (f.lux) filters out harmful blue light, and it's highly adjustable.
https://justgetflux.com/

When I turn the filter off, I'm amazed at how blue and harsh my computer screen looks.
This program is especially helpful at night.

Return to “General Discussion”