Researchers solve MS ‘puzzle’

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
MSUK
Family Elder

Researchers solve MS ‘puzzle’

Post by MSUK »

Evidence has long suggested multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disease, but researchers have been puzzled because they found the same T cells that attack the myelin sheathing around nerve cells in MS patients are present in healthy subjects as well..... Read More - http://www.ms-uk.org/immunecells
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Researchers solve MS ‘puzzle’

Post by Scott1 »

I'm suspicious they may have announced they have invented the wheel. Anybody seen the original publication?

Regards
leonardo
Family Member

Post by leonardo »

1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

They are still flogging the bankrupt, useless EAE "model", which has never made an MS-like lesion, and has few symptoms in common with MS. All because of a fad about the new term "allergic" which lost it's shine long ago.

Use the animal model which involves injecting CSF from MS patients. You might learn something.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

So TH17=EAE=MS. They really do sometimes jump on things.
Functionally, Th17 cells play a role in defense against extracellular pathogens by mediating the recruitment of neutrophils and macrophages to infected tissues. It doesn't have to be MS.
They may have been safer just saying we found a signature of inflammation.
Regards,
Leonard
Family Elder

Post by Leonard »

I think the T-cells are drawn in with the B-cells that cross-react with the transgenes in the OPCs. During this cross-reaction, many mediators will be released by the infiltrating T-cells.

There may be some specific features of T-cells observed in MS. This will increase angiogenesis and cause hyperproliferation of surrounding tissue cells in the CNS which in turn causes the pathological lesions (sclerotic plaques) typical for MS.

As regards the EAE mouse model, EBV is not part of it. The ERV is found in mice, the HERV and EBV only in primates. EBV is central to the B-cell complex of problems in MS.

What is happening here is that the Internet transcends the old world. As 1eye sais, they are still flogging the bankrupt, useless EAE "model". When Hafler says "in MS patients they do damage to the nervous system", they are hopeless neurologists with no chance because they only look at the final result without understanding what happens before that has nothing to do with the nerves.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

The EAE model means something? Well if someone injected your brain with something nasty with a needle the size of your arm, you might look sick, too. I hate mice as much as the next guy, but this is getting very neurotic.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
MSbro
Family Member

Post by MSbro »

MSUK wrote:Evidence has long suggested multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disease, but researchers have been puzzled because they found the same T cells that attack the myelin sheathing around nerve cells in MS patients are present in healthy subjects as well..... Read More - http://www.ms-uk.org/immunecells
But what if these T cells are reacting to something else causing the inflammation in the brain of a MS patient? Then the immune system is doing what it was designed to do and not going rogue causing the problem in the first place. Guess if it's the latter then it's info that the drug companies would not like to hear.