blue-green algae, chlorella or spirulina ???

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Gartermor

blue-green algae, chlorella or spirulina ???

Post by Gartermor »

I'm a Primary-Progressive MS, newbie to this site. Have never used a forum before so I'm not sure if I'm in the right spot. I am really dissecting all of my diet and supplement needs and come across whether or not I should take blue-green algae, chlorella and/or spirulina. Dr. Wahls book says yes but I'm finding a lot on the internet that states "Auto-Immune Disease such as MS should not take it".

Any advice would be helpful.
tzootsi
Family Elder

Re: blue-green algae, chlorella or spirulina ???

Post by tzootsi »

Never heard of using these for ms. However, you should look into biotin. May be the first proven effective treatment for PPMS. It is safe, and readily available.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I take both chlorella or spirulina, and have been for over 1 1/2 years, without issue.

Here is a link for information about Spirulina

http://www.livescience.com/48853-spirul ... facts.html

Here is a link about for information about chlorella

http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-chlorella.html
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

ElliotB wrote: Here is a link for information about Spirulina

http://www.livescience.com/48853-spirul ... facts.html
Please notice:
From "Spirulina: Nutrition Facts & Health Benefits" (next to last paragraph) http://www.livescience.com/48853-spirul ... facts.html
People with certain autoimmune conditions should avoid Spirulina supplements, according to the NIH. Since Spirulina enhances the immune system, Spirulina supplements may worsen symptoms of multiple sclerosis (MS), lupus (systemic lupus erythematosus, SLE), rheumatoid arthritis and other conditions linked to overactive immune systems.
Spirulina is not acceptable as a form of vitamin B12, if a person is trying to correct a low B12 level.
From Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses by Sally M. Pacholok, RN, BSN, and Jeffrey J. Stuart, D.O.
Page 123:
...many vegans supplement their diets with spirulina (an algae), tempeh (fermented soy), or nori (a seaweed) in the belief that these plant foods contain vitamin B12 – a widely accepted idea based on laboratory tests that show significant amounts of the vitamin in these plants. Newer research, however, shows that the tests are primarily detecting "pseudo-vitamin B12" analogues that may actually block the uptake of real B12.
Page 213:
In fact, one at-risk group largely overlooked by doctors consists of health-conscious vegans, vegetarians, and followers of macrobiotic diets. Many of these people fail to take the proper amount of supplemental B12; a number of others take spirulina or tempeh, supplements that are touted as being high in B12 but actually contain B12 analogues that block the absorption of cobalamin [B12] and cause falsely normal serum B12 levels on testing.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

While there is an overwhelming number of warnings about Spirulina and MS, I have yet to find any studies that substantiate this claim. Spirulina is considered a superfood and has many, many health benefits. Whether it is beneficial for those of us with MS is unclear.

I found this interesting article:

http://www.theartfengshui.ch/health-blo ... ood-part-1

Their conclusion: " In a study done in Europe that examined the effect that Spirulina has on patients with multiple sclerosis, the researchers said “It has been established that intake of Spirulina makes for lengthening of remission in those patients with disseminated sclerosis (Buletsa et al, 1996)."

So, as with just about every food, there are those for taking Spirulina (just a few) and those against it (many) if you have MS.

BUT, the OP mentions the Wahls program, which, like Spirulina, seems to be controversial. Every MS diet says low fat/no or little meat, yet the Wahls diet is takes the opposite approach and is a high good fat/high meat diet (which I happen to follow and like many that follow it, am doing well).

I guess when it comes to Spirulina, like most foods, there is just no way to know for sure.
Gartermor

Post by Gartermor »

Thank you so much for all your input. So in order to decide whether to use it or not what would be the benefits and can you use it in pill form?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

There are numerous benefits - check the links. And yes, it is available in pill form without fillers. I use the NOW brand, 2x 1000mg tablets.

Return to “General Discussion”