Ms incidence in non related partners

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Ms incidence in non related partners

Post by jimmylegs »

np :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

To answer the opening poster's original question, spouses of people with MS are not thought to have higher risk of MS compared to the general population. Multiple studies have investigated this and have found that spouses of people with MS have roughly the population risk. In a Canadian study, only 23 of 13 550 spouses were concordant for multiple sclerosis (see the second study below). Presuming that both of you are diagnosed correctly, this could just be a coincidence, though it is somewhat rare.

Robertson NP, O'Riordan JI, Chataway J, et al. Offspring recurrence rates and clinical characteristics of conjugal multiple sclerosis. Lancet1997;349:1587–90.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/917 ... t=Abstract

Ebers GC, Lee IML, Sadovnick AD, et al, and the Canadian Collaborative Study Group. Conjugal multiple sclerosis: population based prevalence and recurrence risks in offspring. Ann Neurol2000;48:927–31.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/111 ... t=Abstract
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

NHE wrote:One medical group in my area run by a major research university has a laboratory range for B12 that runs all the way down to 180 pg/mL! This is criminal.
Wow! That is a scary thought!
frodo
Family Elder

Post by frodo »

Are you both from a small village? Maybe there is some genetic background in that area.
96Wgrsc

Post by 96Wgrsc »

Nope. Second largest City in England!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ha my mum's college bestie is from near there :) they've been transatlantic buddies for over 50 yrs now
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
violin
Family Member

Post by violin »

Viruses like EBV, various herpes esp. HHV-6, various Borrelia species not only burgdorferi ("Lyme")...
My boyfriend of --gasp--40 years ago, has had MS for decades. I didn't know until after I was on disability over ten years ago, supposedly due to complications of treatment for Lyme Disease.

You tested negative for Lyme? Unlikely. There exists no definitive testing for ""Lyme" or any other of the 200 or so Borrelia species. Do testing through Igenex, only. Then PM me if you want. Only 2 years ago did I find a Dr who put me on an effective, tolerable, protocol.

CCSVI helped me tremendously, by the way, during the Lyme protocol.

I suspect there are many connections. There's an idea that cancer, for example, is transmissible, although not actually contagious.

Oh, and Borrelia has been found in sperm. Borrelia in spouses occurs. Not only ticks spread it, so it can be considered environmental. (Doxycycline within a couple of days of exposure can stop Borrelia, per Israeli Army published journal articles. I keep some stored at home in case of exposure.)

Just my experience, and wondering...
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

centenarian100 wrote:
NHE wrote:One medical group in my area run by a major research university has a laboratory range for B12 that runs all the way down to 180 pg/mL! This is criminal.
Wow! That is a scary thought!
Here's their scale for B12...

Normal: 180‐914 pg/mL
Indeterminate: 145‐179 pg/mL
Deficient: <145 pg/mL

Scary indeed!

8O

Return to “General Discussion”